You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-28 20:29:22

llawwehttam

[SOLVED]SP5100 address already in use

#######################################
Problem was several typos and general incompetence on my part.
#######################################

I just got back from 4 weeks away, updated my computer and fixed the few problems that caused ..... as usual, BUT

On boot Module events fails. The message on boot is:

[    4.193903] SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xfec000f0 already in use
llawwehttam@Steelhorn> dmesg | grep SP5100                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   ~
[    4.193853] SP5100 TCO timer: SP5100 TCO WatchDog Timer Driver v0.01
[    4.193903] SP5100 TCO timer: mmio address 0xfec000f0 already in use

I have done some googling and haven't found a solution but have found that it may be nvidia related and some people have had crashes due to it........ which I'd rather avoid.

If anyone has any ideas how to fix the issue or at least to prevent it from causing a problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

EDIT:

Done some more searching and seems to be caused by a bug in the kernel to do with the ATI SP5100 chipset and it is suggested to blacklist SP5100_tco in modules.

However this has not solved the problem for a lot of other people and has caused some more issues.

Apparently the bug was fixed in 2.6.38-8.42 but it seems not.

I'll try the blacklisting solution later but until then if anyone has a better suggestion It would be appreciated.

EDIT2:

There is a launchpad bug report here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … bug/740011

I do not have the crashing and the pc seems to work fine but the blacklisting solution makes no difference and I am running:

llawwehttam@Steelhorn> uname -r                                               ~
3.0-ARCH

Any ideas?

Last edited by llawwehttam (2011-11-04 02:46:49)

#2 2011-09-04 18:01:29

Scrapnon

Re: [SOLVED]SP5100 address already in use

My Thinkpad x120e has the same error at boot, but doesn't really result in further problems.

#3 2011-10-29 02:46:01

boast

Same here. But no stability issues.

Asus M4A785TD-V ;; Phenom II X4 @ 3.9GHz ;; Ripjaws 12GB DDR3-1600 ;; 128GB Samsung 830 ;; MSI GTX460 v2 w/ blob ;; Arch Linux + KDE 4.x

#4 2011-11-02 23:55:24

ChALkeR

My eeepc 1015b sometimes does not wake up from hibernate (on memory).

But i am not sure if this is the cause.

#5 2011-11-03 05:23:36

Diaz

Same here eeepc 1215b - amd + ati. I read some bug report saying it was fixed in kernel 3.1, but even after getting it from testing repo, this still appers.
From what i understand this is related to the watchdog and it's function is to somewhat "ping" the system from time to time to see if it is locked, if it finds the system in that state it reboots the machine. So, no serious harm will occur disabling the module.

But would like to fix this.

#6 2011-11-03 12:54:27

llawwehttam

Diaz wrote:

Same here eeepc 1215b - amd + ati. I read some bug report saying it was fixed in kernel 3.1, but even after getting it from testing repo, this still appers.
From what i understand this is related to the watchdog and it's function is to somewhat "ping" the system from time to time to see if it is locked, if it finds the system in that state it reboots the machine. So, no serious harm will occur disabling the module.

I have tried disabling it and the problem persists. Maybe I am disabling the wrong module? Could you give me a link to where you found the above information, thanks.

#7 2011-11-03 14:19:26

chr0nik

The blacklisting suggestion is mentioned here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/38920/bo … 8928#38928

The module name is sp5100_tco. The arch wiki might help too: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ke … acklisting

This issue has been around for a bit; I also found these bug reports:
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/25342
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=638863

The debian bug report is worth reading. There's a patch (message #55 in the thread,) feedback indicating the patch corrected the problem and that the watchdog still functions as expected during testing (#80) and some planned escalation if the problem persists with the 3.1 kernel (#65.)

Anyway I have the same issue, but it's not a problem unless it manifests as more than a mildly annoying message at boot. From what I read, some other users' systems won't even boot.

#8 2011-11-03 18:04:43

Diaz

llawwehttam wrote:
Diaz wrote:

I have tried disabling it and the problem persists. Maybe I am disabling the wrong module? Could you give me a link to where you found the above information, thanks.

i think what i read the other day was from the last link posted by chr0nik or something rally similiar.

#9 2011-11-03 19:51:28

llawwehttam

Diaz wrote:
llawwehttam wrote:
Diaz wrote:

i think what i read the other day was from the last link posted by chr0nik or something rally similiar.

Thanks. Found out I made a typo. I'll make sure it worked next time I reboot.

#10 2011-11-04 02:26:28

llawwehttam

Right, that got rid of the boot message but modules still fails but with no error. This really isn't my area so is there any way to view what specific module failed?

EDIT: IGNORE THE ABOVE

You have my permission to call me a complete and total ********* <-- Substitute what you will.

I decided to check my rc.conf just to make sure that the problem wasn't there......... I then proceeded to blink a few times, check I was awake, silently scream, then delete rc.conf and use a fresh copy with the needed changes.

If someone had shown me that file I would have completely denied ever editing it.

I guess that's the problem solved then.

Last edited by llawwehttam (2011-11-04 02:44:37)

#11 2011-11-04 15:22:02

Turris

llawwehttam wrote:

Right, that got rid of the boot message but modules still fails but with no error. This really isn't my area so is there any way to view what specific module failed?

You have my permission to call me a complete and total ********* <-- Substitute what you will.

I decided to check my rc.conf just to make sure that the problem wasn't there......... I then proceeded to blink a few times, check I was awake, silently scream, then delete rc.conf and use a fresh copy with the needed changes.

If someone had shown me that file I would have completely denied ever editing it.

So, did you blacklist the module 'SP5100_tco' or did you use the patch posted in the Debian bug report?

I have the same message but it doesn't cause any problems afaik. What would be the best solution in this case: blacklist / patch / wait till this gets sorted in an update?

#12 2011-11-04 15:23:50

llawwehttam

Turris wrote:
llawwehttam wrote:

So, did you blacklist the module 'SP5100_tco' or did you use the patch posted in the Debian bug report?

I have the same message but it doesn't cause any problems afaik. What would be the best solution in this case: blacklist / patch / wait till this gets sorted in an update?

I just blacklisted it. I really don't like manually patching things without managing it with a package manager.

The secondary issue preventing blacklisting here was that my rc.conf was full of [CENSORED]

#13 2012-07-07 14:23:56

archie0

I also have this problem, but I would like to use this watchdog.
Any way of fixing the error without blacklisting the module?
Thanks!

Board footer