You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-24 17:00:06

bardo

abs timing out [SOLVED!]

It's some weeks I'm having problems syncing the abs database. I can connect to the server, but then the connection times out, and I don't understand why.
My local provider (Fastweb, an Italian company) keeps us in a big WAN, we have a private class address an no port forwarding, so I think this is to blame, because with a public ip address I've never had such problems.
I've got to say there are some people on the same network which have no problems updating the repo, but my line is a DSL, their runs on optical fiber.

Well, I don't know where to look, looking for advice. No, I don't know anyone that can tunnel me outside smile

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#2 2005-10-29 16:58:16

bardo

Re: abs timing out [SOLVED!]

I found out what the problem was: cvsup by default opens four unidirectional ports (the so called multiplexed mode), but some firewalls (and some ISPs) don't allow this, so it is necessary to use the passive mode, which can be specified on the cvsup command line by adding "-P -". So, just edit /usr/bin/abs and substitute

cvsup -L 1 -r 0 -g -b $ABSROOT -c .sup /etc/abs/supfile.$sup

with

cvsup -P - -L 1 -r 0 -g -b $ABSROOT -c .sup /etc/abs/supfile.$sup

and all will work well wink

One thing doesn't still seem to work: when the tree update is finished, the program hangs. This is not a problem, since the update is done, and a ^C does the work big_smile

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#3 2006-04-07 12:08:20

mvinnicius

Please...

"-p -" or "-P -" ?

Keep swimming.
Dolly, in Finding Nemo

#4 2006-04-08 14:38:02

bardo

mvinnicius wrote:

"-p -" or "-P -" ?

-P, capital P. It is right. From the man page:

-p port     Sets the TCP port to which cvsup attempts to connect on the server host.  This
                 feature is primarily for testing.  The default port is 5999.  When not in passive
                 mode (see the description of the -P option), the server also uses the next lower
                 port to establish a second connection back to the client.

-P m|a|port|lo-hi|-
                 Controls the establishment of the auxiliary TCP connection(s) used to carry
                 information between the client and the server.  Altogether, the client and server
                 require four unidirectional channels to communicate: two from the client to the
                 server, and two from the server to the client.  These four unidirectional chan-
                 nels can be set up in different ways, to support various firewall setups.  The
                 modes provided for this are multiplexed mode, passive mode, and active mode.  All
                 but multiplexed mode are deprecated.  Multiplexed mode can handle any situation
                 that the other modes can handle.

By default the channels are established in multiplexed mode, if the server is new
                 enough to support it.  Multiplexed mode uses a single TCP connection to implement
                 the four channels.  A built-in packet layer multiplexes the different logical
                 channels on top of the TCP connection, in a manner not unlike ssh's port forward-
                 ing feature.  This adds a very small amount of communication overhead (<1%) and a
                 little bit of CPU overhead, but it should work behind almost any kind of firewall
                 setup.  The firewall must permit the client host to initiate connections to port
                 5999 of the server host; beyond that, no special permissions are required.  To
                 explicitly force multiplexed mode, use the option -P m.

Multiplexed mode can be used in conjunction with a SOCKS proxy server.  Simply
                 run cvsup under the runsocks command, and add @M3novm to the end of the cvsup
                 command line.

Active mode implements the four unidirectional channels using two bidirectional
                 TCP connections.  The original connection from the client to the server imple-
                 ments two channels, and a second TCP connection implements the other two chan-
                 nels.  To establish the second TCP connection, the server connects back to the
                 client.  With -P a, the client listens for the connection on a port chosen by the
                 operating system.  Many operating systems use ports in the range 1024-5000 for
                 this purpose.  The user can specify a particular port with -P port, or a range of
                 ports with -P lo-hi.  These port specifications cannot be used through a SOCKS
                 proxy server.

Passive mode is similar in that it also uses two TCP connections to implement the
                 four unidirectional channels.  However, in passive mode the client connects to
                 the server to create the second TCP connection.  Passive mode can be useful when
                 the client is behind a firewall that allows outbound connections, but denies most
                 incoming connections.  To select passive mode, use the option -P -.  Passive mode
                 cannot be used through a SOCKS proxy server.

I want to activate passive mode, not to use a custom port...

BTW, this has been implemented in the latest abs release, now you can use "abs -p" to back up to passive mode. See http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/3400

Board footer