You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-07 06:35:27

chrisgray1497

power user video / multitasking

I need to make a proposal for school and it would help my cause a lot if I have a good video of a linux power user multitasking.  I'm looking for a video to display the efficiency of using linux and the keyboard.  Just a video of somebody with several terminals/programs, switching between workspaces, managing multiple tasks.. etc  Just something to "Wow" the mouse monkeys. big_smile

any thoughts on where I could find something like this?

I tried youtub'ing
linux power user, keyboard, multitasking, APM, multiple terminals   

no luck

#2 2011-09-07 06:39:03

karol
Archivist

Re: power user video / multitasking

Can you make one yourself?

#3 2011-09-07 06:43:00

chrisgray1497

I could. But I'm far from a linux power user. I only began using vim last week tongue

Plus I'd like it to be somewhat authentic. The only three things I really multitask are playing music, browsing the interwebs, and editing a single text file at a time.  I'd like somebody who is legitimately doing 7-8 things or more at once - doesn't really matter what as long as it is with the keyboard.

edit: and someone might recognize its me and then realize I'm multitasking a ridiculous amount of stuff for the sake of multitasking and proving my point.

Last edited by chrisgray1497 (2011-09-07 06:45:02)

#4 2011-09-07 12:40:29

Rhubarb

It'd be better to show them a video of the type of work they normally do on the computer, and what a nice desktop in Linux could do.
I've recently discovered gnome 3, it looks pretty fancy, and has got some nifty productivity stuff in there too (you can use mouse or keyboard to open apps, etc).

They're pretty simple looking videos (reminds me of apple ads on tv), but they may be good: http://www.youtube.com/user/GNOMEDesktop

People at the school probably won't be working in terminals that much, so there wouldn't be much point showing them videos of people multitasking with lots of terminals open.
I'm guessing they'd probably want to see: Libreoffice writer, calc, and impress, some pdf that's open with evince, gimp in the middle of making up a picture, cheese (webcam app), and empathy (instant messenger).
Multiple desktops are always good to show as well.

If I'm bored I could make up a video.  - No promises though!

Work smart, not hard.

#5 2011-09-08 05:49:33

chrisgray1497

The proposal is for an engineering class on an alternative keyboard design, on the basis that the keyboard is the most efficient method of input for a computer.  I'd prefer a lot of terminals because the keyboard serves as the primary input for them and they are by far the most efficient way to do things.

Everyone in the class is an engineer.  While they might not use terminals themselves they would respect the appearance of multitasking terminals running multiple tasks/ programs / projects.

writer & calc would be fine. Although I imagine vim or emacs is a more efficient method of doing the same (minus some of the formating)

definitely not gimp since it is a graphics program that relies primarily on the mouse.

#6 2011-09-08 07:46:58

Rhubarb

Ahhh ok then, that's a bit different smile

vim does make for a very nice and efficient keyboard based text editor.  (it's not quite as it could be because I'm a dvorak typist, as vim is optimised for qwerty use, still it's pretty good).
A few things that may be good to show / learn:
terminator - this allows you to create heaps of terminals in a single tiled window
vimperator - this adds vim style keyboard bindings for firefox

If you want to go over-the-top, then there are some keyboard optimised window managers too.  I've only played around with one: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wmii
There's a few videos on wmii on youtube, some that may be relevant:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQWk3iW1Vno
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSes6lJdj5Y

In wmii, you can start up apps just by pressing super + p, then entering in the start of the app.
wmii uses dmenu to do this, and can be installed in other window managers too https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dmenu
gnome3 (gnome shell) can do this too, just by pressing the super button.

That is one of the beauties of Arch Linux, you can configure it up just how you like it.
And in your case, you can pretty much do anything quickly with just a keyboard, Linux and a few terminals.

Work smart, not hard.

#7 2011-09-08 10:59:31

karol
Archivist

Just a thought: would someone playing Starcraft count?

You would need extensive commentary for the videos, because if someone is heavily multitasking, it's all blur. Imagine he reads somethings on IRC, does a web or local search in another terminal and responds on the IRC, meanwhile some app finished compiling and is ready to install, he's listening to some music and uploading stuff to his server, does some quick notes in his text editor, scrolls through some code etc. - would your friends at school even understand what I'm talking about here (apart from 'listening to some music' ;P) ?

#8 2011-09-09 06:52:03

chrisgray1497

hahaha. starcraft wouldn't count. although thats where I got APM from. lol.

but yeah. that sounds like exactly what I want.  I actually got a few decent videos from the earlier post. but nothing perfect.

Board footer