You are not logged in.

#1 2005-05-27 10:17:31

tomk
Forum Fellow

Directory/file ownership problem - restore Arch defaults?

A recent screw-up while changing from ext3 to reiser left everything on my system owned by tomk:users. (Clever me - if anyone needs a HOWNOTTO on this, I'll be glad to provide the embarrassing details  :oops: ) Anyway, I chown'ed everything except $HOME to root:root, and it all seems to be running fine. However, I am of course aware that there are various other users and groups on the system, presumably for good reason. Where can I find out what should be owned by these users/groups? I reckon leaving everything root:root is probably not a good idea, right?

#2 2005-05-27 17:20:45

bardo

Re: Directory/file ownership problem - restore Arch defaults?

For a similar problem (I couldn't access some libraries) I decided to reinstall all the software packages on the system and I managed to fix it.

I just issued one command:

for i in `pacman -Q | cut -f1 -d " "` ; do pacman -S --noconfirm "$i" ; done

You can see my thread at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=12568, read it to have some useful advices about doing this smile

dreaming in digital / living in realtime / thinking in binary / talking in ip / welcome to our world

#3 2005-05-31 13:03:46

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Directory/file ownership problem - restore Arch defaults?

Thanks bardo (and cactus in the other thread). I ended up using cactus' suggestion, but in three stages, to solve the local package issue. First

pacman -Q | cut -f1 -d " " | tr "n" " " > install.list

then edit my own package names out of install.list, then

pacman -Sy `cat install.list`

Clunkier, certainly, but I felt happier that way - and that's what it's all about, isn't it?  big_smile  big_smile

Board footer