You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-09 11:00:47

bjorntj

Boot the latest archboot via efi?

I have installed Windows first on my new SSD disk and it boots now using UEFI... I have also installed Arch and have gotten so far as to install grub to EFI but I am not able to do that, because there is no efi directory beneath /sys/firmware... How can I make sure that the Archboot CD boots using EFI? I have set "use only UEFI" in my BIOS but still no directory beneath /sys/firmware..

What am I missing?

(bwt, I am install it on a Lenovo ThinkPad W520 )

Regards,

BTJ

Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"
To which someone replied:
"It's even worse than that; play it forwards and it installs Windows"

#2 2011-09-09 16:48:03

bjorntj

Re: Boot the latest archboot via efi?

It also says under the grub2 wiki that I should load the module efivars but I can's seem to find such module, not even using find....?

BTJ

Someone wrote:
"I understand that if you play a Windows CD backwards you hear strange Satanic messages"

#3 2011-09-10 09:13:01

skodabenz
Banned

bjorntj wrote:

It also says under the grub2 wiki that I should load the module efivars but I can's seem to find such module, not even using find....?

BTJ

Does (as root or using sudo) this command give any error?

modprobe efivars

Can you try https://gitorious.org/tianocore_uefi_du … I_boot_USB ?

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#4 2011-09-10 19:11:18

bjorntj

skodabenz wrote:
bjorntj wrote:

BTJ

Does (as root or using sudo) this command give any error?

modprobe efivars

Well, It does what I said, the modprobe command tells me it can not find such a module...

Well, I made it work by using the Archboot CD and edited the grub config so it started my installed OS instead of the one on the CD...

The only problem now, is that is that my laptop still boots Windows when rebooting, even if I have set Grub as my first boot in BIOS.. (I have to manually choose the right boot after a reboot). But when starting my laptop after I have shut it down,  then it starts the Grub boot, as it should... Is it a bug in my BIOS or a know problem with UEFI or?

Regards,

BTJ

Someone wrote:

#5 2011-09-11 10:27:18

skodabenz
Banned

bjorntj wrote:

Well, I made it work by using the Archboot CD and edited the grub config so it started my installed OS instead of the one on the CD...

Whats the modified (or edited) config?

The only problem now, is that is that my laptop still boots Windows when rebooting, even if I have set Grub as my first boot in BIOS.. (I have to manually choose the right boot after a reboot). But when starting my laptop after I have shut it down,  then it starts the Grub boot, as it should... Is it a bug in my BIOS or a know problem with UEFI or?

Seems like a firmware bug. Did you search the net for any info/workaround?

My new forum user/nick name is "the.ridikulus.rat" .

#6 2011-09-11 19:55:27

bjorntj

The edited config is just me stopping inside the grub2 menu and pressing 'e' to edit the menuentries and there change the entry so it booted my installation on the harddrive instead of the CD...

Did a quick search now and it seems to be a bug related to Lenovo W520 and my Intel 510 SSD disk....

BTJ

Someone wrote:

#7 2011-09-12 01:54:53

spoked

bjorntj wrote:

The edited config is just me stopping inside the grub2 menu and pressing 'e' to edit the menuentries and there change the entry so it booted my installation on the harddrive instead of the CD...

Did a quick search now and it seems to be a bug related to Lenovo W520 and my Intel 510 SSD disk....

BTJ

What exactly have you come across?

Personally, I have succeeded in installing archboot on a Thinkpad T420s and Intel 320 SSD... similar system, but not exactly. I would not know the discrepancies between the two.

To do so, I had to extract the files from the iso image to a USB flash disk formatted as FAT32. Burning the iso to CD did not work trying to boot with UEFI. You will not be able to use the efibootmgr tool at the end of the installation process if the installer itself wasn't booted with UEFI.

In this sense, make sure your BIOS startup option is set to UEFI only and not Legacy and UEFI. Even with boot UEFI first option, the "Both" setting was entirely reliable for my case.

Also, I am dual booting with Windows 7, though I installed the latter after Arch. I don't think this would affect your ability to suceed in installing. Mount the EFI system partition to /boot/efi and things should just work. You can simply add Windows the grub.cfg and boot UEFI solely with GRUB, ignoring the Windows loader.

Board footer