You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-10 06:51:02

RobertBuhren

The right way of power management? pm-utils + acpid (+ laptop-mode ?)

Hello,

i`m trying to get the most out of my laptop battery and therefore i tried various methods to save power. I read in this post :
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=102307
that pm-utils and laptop-mode-utils are doing somewhat the same things and are not to be used together. Is this true? because when using both, i save about 2 Watts compared to when only using pm-utils. Is there any danger in using both at the same time? And can i tweak pm-utils to do the same things as laptop-mode? Because i`d rather just use one power mangement framework than two.

Thanks in advance

Robert

#2 2011-09-10 07:57:54

the sad clown

Re: The right way of power management? pm-utils + acpid (+ laptop-mode ?)

I have pm-utils and laptop-mode-tools on the same system, but I use pm-utils just for suspend and hibernate.  I am fairly sure they are both just front ends for the same back end programs that actually manipulate power settings.  You can use both, but I don't see how it would really benefit you.  If you are seeing a power savings by using both, it is likely just because you are catching a setting in one that you missed in the other.  I would suggest just reading up on one of them in order to get a better understanding of how to best utilize it.  I prefer laptop-mode-tools, but I know there are others who don't.  Why not try reading the wiki and manpages for both and make a decision for yourself.

Last edited by the sad clown (2011-09-10 08:00:02)

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2011-09-10 15:35:41

RobertBuhren

Re: The right way of power management? pm-utils + acpid (+ laptop-mode ?)

I read some of the wiki pages, but e.g. the one about pm-utils says nothing about it`s power management capabilities ( Just how to disable them). I was hoping someone who`s already having a working power configuration could give me some tips smile For know i`ll just try to disable pm-utils and see what i can get out of laptop-mode-tools.

Greets,

Robert

Board footer