You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-10 12:28:15

biltong

[solved] My fix for sound doesn't work on arch.

I've got a sound card with a vt1723 chip which is supposed to be supported by ice1724, but the driver doesn't always work perfectly first time for my card. My solution in ubuntu was to

/sbin/alsa force-reload

but that doesn't work on arch (command not found) since pulseaudio got installed by something, I can't remember what. Also it seems gstreamer based applications like rhythmbox are either muted or broken for some reason on this box - on my ancient laptop it works fine with pulse.

Pulseaudio also seems to give me crackly sound, but I'm not sure if that's the fault of pulse, alsa, or the drivers themselves.

EDIT: Forgot to tell the actual problem fixed my alsa force-reload: Either I get normal working sound (slim chance it seems) or I get normal output on the right channel and near-muted output on the left channel. I've tried everything in ubuntu and the only thing that worked for me is alsa force-reload.

Last edited by biltong (2011-09-10 14:37:44)

#2 2011-09-10 13:09:15

hybrid

Re: [solved] My fix for sound doesn't work on arch.

Well don't know alsa or those soundservers well enough to help you fix the underlying problem.
But google tells me that alsa force-reload is used to attempt to kill all applications that are using alsa and to restart alsa afterwards. The daemon files in arch are located in "/etc/rc.d". '/etc/rc.d/alsa force-restart' as root is probably what  you were looking for.

#3 2011-09-10 13:57:10

ANOKNUSA

Pulseaudio always tries to subvert Alsa; it prefers to be your default sound system.  Unless you're using GNOME Pulse likely isn't a dependency for anything important; since your attitude toward it is "pulse got installed or something," I'm gonna take a wild guess and say it's not there by choice.  Remove it. Otherwise, check out the wiki pages on Alsa and Pulseaudio for info on setup and compatability.

#4 2011-09-10 14:24:56

biltong

@hybrid
I'll give that a shot, thanks smile

@Anoknusa
No I'm not running GNOME, but I do have gnome-do installed, maybe that has a dependancy that needs pulse? All I know is that I installed something and pulse came along with it. I have tried to remove it before but there was something that depended on it. I'll reboot from windows quick and check it out.

EDIT: compiz-decorator-gtk depends on things that depend on pulse. I'm gonna try remove that and see if my theme still works and pulse can be removed.

EDIT 2: Hey, my theme still works! big_smile Pulse is gone now, and hybrid your solution worked big_smile

Now my only issue is the HDMI output on my GTX460 is being preferred over my real soundcard. But thanks guys smile

Last edited by biltong (2011-09-10 14:37:25)

#5 2011-09-10 15:07:20

Rasi
Website

biltong wrote:

Now my only issue is the HDMI output on my GTX460 is being preferred over my real soundcard. But thanks guys smile

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ad … sound_card

He hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realized there was a contradiction involved here and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

Douglas Adams

#6 2011-09-11 07:14:41

biltong

Yeah I quick fixed that by blacklisting the driver for hdmi since I never use it anyway. Thanks though smile

Board footer