You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-10 16:00:45

M4he

[SOLVED] Bad performance with exFAT (only?)

All my external USB HDDs are formatted with exFAT.
When I copy/move files between those drives, my system becomes horribly unresponsive: Although the memory and cpu usage is extremely low, opening an application or accessing web pages takes up to a minute sometimes.

I'm using fuse-exfat from AUR on Xfce 4.8.

Since I don't have any other HDDs at the moment I'm wondering if this issue is limited to exFAT or also affects other systems.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M4he (2011-09-24 18:54:49)

Arch - makes me feel right at /home

#3 2011-09-10 16:35:02

M4he

Re: [SOLVED] Bad performance with exFAT (only?)

Thanks for your research karol!

So it seems like it's not limited to exFAT formatted drives (which is relieving) but rather an USB I/O issue...

UPDATE:
Just played around with a NTFS formatted USB drive. It's not as bad as with the exFAT drives. At least applications don't freeze and the system is more responsive. It slows down the system as well but copying the same amount of data doesn't even take 1/2 of the time.
Seems like I have to migrate my disks to NTFS...

Last edited by M4he (2011-09-24 18:50:03)

#4 2011-09-24 18:54:22

M4he

Re: [SOLVED] Bad performance with exFAT (only?)

Reading through all the posts karol linked here, I came across the fact that this seems to be a kernel bug.
Therefore I installed kernel26-lts along with nvidia-lts and modified menu.lst to downgrade the kernel to LTS et voila... it works!

exFAT still takes up to 5x the copy time of NTFS but neither of them produce any freezes/hangs or slow-downs any more.

So, this is in fact a kernel bug! I will stay with LTS and may migrate my disks to NTFS. Nevertheless I may mark this as SOLVED now wink

Board footer