You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-10 20:58:56

jlacroix

[SOLVED] Long Freeze During Login

I'm having a strange issue that I need help figuring out. I initially posted this in the desktop environment section because I thought it was a KDM problem. It's not limited to KDM.

The issue: Whenever I log in, there is a long delay (5-10 seconds) until I am able to enter my password. It doesn't matter if I log in to a TTY or KDM, in either case the problem is the same. I enter my username, press enter, and everything freezes for 5-10 seconds. During the freeze, the hard drive light is blinking like it's trying hard to load something, but I'm not sure what. After the hard drive light quiets down, everything is 100% normal.

Here are a few things to note. First, this is a fresh install. I decided to reinstall for whatever reason, but since I'm going to capture a base image, I want to get this install as perfect as I can. Second, I've tried running KDM as a daemon and through inittab. I've also spent about an hour or more rearranging my daemons list to see if the ordering was the issue. It doesn't appear so but feel free to comment on the order of my daemons if needbe.

Here is my current daemon list:

syslog-ng dbus acpid !network @netfs @crond @hwclock @alsa @preload @cpufreqd @sshd @samba wicd

Last edited by jlacroix (2011-09-13 15:16:12)

#2 2011-09-10 22:40:30

GSF1200S

Re: [SOLVED] Long Freeze During Login

jlacroix wrote:

I'm having a strange issue that I need help figuring out. I initially posted this in the desktop environment section because I thought it was a KDM problem. It's not limited to KDM.

The issue: Whenever I log in, there is a long delay (5-10 seconds) until I am able to enter my password. It doesn't matter if I log in to a TTY or KDM, in either case the problem is the same. I enter my username, press enter, and everything freezes for 5-10 seconds. During the freeze, the hard drive light is blinking like it's trying hard to load something, but I'm not sure what. After the hard drive light quiets down, everything is 100% normal.

Here are a few things to note. First, this is a fresh install. I decided to reinstall for whatever reason, but since I'm going to capture a base image, I want to get this install as perfect as I can. Second, I've tried running KDM as a daemon and through inittab. I've also spent about an hour or more rearranging my daemons list to see if the ordering was the issue. It doesn't appear so but feel free to comment on the order of my daemons if needbe.

syslog-ng dbus acpid !network @netfs @crond @hwclock @alsa @preload @cpufreqd @sshd @samba wicd

Does the delay happen if you login as another user? How about logging in as root (at a tty)?

#3 2011-09-11 00:24:30

jlacroix

GSF1200S wrote:
jlacroix wrote:

Does the delay happen if you login as another user? How about logging in as root (at a tty)?

With KDM, the delay happens before I can even change the username. If I disable KDM and use TTY, the delay happens with root as well. It appears that something is loading in the background that takes up the entire CPU while it's loading. I'm not sure what it would be, considering I made sure the last item on my rc.conf does not have the @ symbol prefixed.

Edit: I just removed the @ symbol from each of the daemons to ensure each one loads fully, and it made no difference.

Last edited by jlacroix (2011-09-11 00:33:23)

#4 2011-09-13 03:40:26

jlacroix

I think I figured it out. If I bang out the "preload" daemon, all is well. For some reason that daemon keeps loading in the background so much that my system cannot do anything at all for 10-15 seconds. I wonder if I should file a bug report?

#5 2011-09-13 03:44:25

karol
Archivist

jlacroix wrote:

I think I figured it out. If I bang out the "preload" daemon, all is well. For some reason that daemon keeps loading in the background so much that my system cannot do anything at all for 10-15 seconds. I wonder if I should file a bug report?

Errr ... isn't this the usual way it works?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Preload

#6 2011-09-13 03:54:48

jlacroix

karol wrote:
jlacroix wrote:

Errr ... isn't this the usual way it works?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Preload

It wasn't like that before. My understanding is that it's slow initially until it learns what programs I use most often, and then it's not. Sort of like how indexing is slow the first time it indexes your hard drive. I thought it was kind of like that. But this problem only started happening, and it wasn't an issue before.

Edit: I'm marking this solved for now, since I found the source of the long pause before I'm able to log in. Now I just need to either find a way to tweak preload or not use it anymore.

Last edited by jlacroix (2011-09-13 15:16:53)

Board footer