You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-13 02:56:52

jayson_r
Website

KDE Installation question

Hi all,
Just switched to Arch- love the distro so far, glad I made the choice to switch.
I do have a quick question though, I'm using KDE, and when I was installing I did 'pacman -S kde' instead of 'kde-meta'.

Should I have done this the other way around? I have since read that 'kde-meta' will keep up with new packages added to KDE, and I don't want to miss out.
Can I just install 'kde-meta' now, on top of the 'kde' group? will this mess anything up?

I just got everything just the way I want it and I don't want to start over at this point.
Thanks in advance for any advice!

#2 2011-09-13 03:05:03

karol
Archivist

Re: KDE Installation question

#3 2011-09-13 03:09:44

jayson_r
Website

Yes, I read it - that's where I picked up that 'kde-meta' keeps up with new packages added to KDE. I guess the point of my question is, if I install kde-meta now, after having installed KDE, will it work the same way, and/or break anything in the future?

#4 2011-09-13 03:12:25

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

jayson_r wrote:

Yes, I read it - that's where I picked up that 'kde-meta' keeps up with new packages added to KDE. I guess the point of my question is, if I install kde-meta now, after having installed KDE, will it work the same way, and/or break anything in the future?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: package management isn't all too complicated, you can read up in the wiki and man pages for pacman about it. Order of installation should not usually matter except in special cases (of course, dependencies are needed before the packages which depend on them).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2011-09-13 03:13:18

jayson_r
Website

Thanks! I'll go ahead and install 'kde-meta' now with no worries.
Thanks again for all the quick help!

#6 2011-09-13 03:14:03

lucke

Installing kde-meta packages now won't break anything.

Board footer