You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-14 14:38:40

Miklos

Error when writing partition table using fdisk

Hi again!

I'm trying to format my disk before a reinstallation of arch, but I can't get it to work. When I try to write the new partition table using fdisk I get the following:

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioct(l) to re-read partition table.

Error closing file.

If I restart fdisk my old partition table is back! If I try cfdisk instead I don't get any error, but the old partition table still comes back.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm trying using dd to zero the drive out now.

Last edited by Miklos (2011-09-14 14:51:24)

#2 2011-09-14 18:14:40

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Error when writing partition table using fdisk

It's quite common, you just have to reboot or do a partprobe and it should be fine.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-09-14 18:46:58

Miklos

Thanks for the answer. However, I tried rebooting and using partprobe and I still get the same error. I tried using dd to zero the drive but it kept on going for 4 hours without complete. I'm not sure how long it's suppose to take? It is a 32GB SSD disk.

#4 2011-09-14 20:15:54

gregor

some ssd-disk aren't compatible with linux  ,but you can try 'cfdisk -z /dev/.... <=== your device 'sda' or what ever -z means zero partition table (start with an blank disk)

just partition the disk to your needs and save it on exit ,from 'partprobe' i don't know nothing about.

Last edited by gregor (2011-09-14 20:20:12)

#5 2011-09-14 20:28:27

lifeafter2am

Miklos wrote:

Hi again!

I'm trying to format my disk before a reinstallation of arch, but I can't get it to work. When I try to write the new partition table using fdisk I get the following:

Command (m for help): w
The partition table has been altered!

Calling ioct(l) to re-read partition table.

Error closing file.

If I restart fdisk my old partition table is back! If I try cfdisk instead I don't get any error, but the old partition table still comes back.

What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I'm trying using dd to zero the drive out now.

Are you using GPT or MBR?

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#6 2011-09-14 20:39:31

Miklos

gregor wrote:

some ssd-disk aren't compatible with linux  ,but you can try 'cfdisk -z /dev/.... <=== your device 'sda' or what ever -z means zero partition table (start with an blank disk)

just partition the disk to your needs and save it on exit ,from 'partprobe' i don't know nothing about.

I have had arch installed on that disk before so I don't think it is a compability problem. Anyway, using the -z option doesn't work, if I start cfdisk again the partition is back.

lifeafter2am wrote:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure about the difference and/or how I check which one I use hmm

#7 2011-09-14 20:41:25

lifeafter2am

Miklos wrote:
gregor wrote:

I have had arch installed on that disk before so I don't think it is a compability problem. Anyway, using the -z option doesn't work, if I start cfdisk again the partition is back.

lifeafter2am wrote:

I'm sorry for my ignorance, but I'm not sure about the difference and/or how I check which one I use hmm

Read the wiki: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SSD

SSD isn't exactly like using a normal disk.

-------------

#8 2011-09-14 21:08:52

Miklos

lifeafter2am wrote:
Miklos wrote:
gregor wrote:

lifeafter2am wrote:

Alright, I have treated it like any sata disk and followed the installation guide on the wiki without any problems. Anyway, I looked at the wiki article you posted, decided to go with GPT and gdisk but in the end I get the same result. Everything seems to work, but after writing the partition table the old one still comes back after running gdisk again.

After running the program again, I noticed this:

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR: converting to GPT format.

Last edited by Miklos (2011-09-14 21:12:44)

#9 2011-09-14 21:13:49

lifeafter2am

Miklos wrote:
lifeafter2am wrote:
Miklos wrote:

Alright, I have treated it like any sata disk and followed the installation guide on the wiki without any problems. Anyway, I looked at the wiki article you posted, decided to go with GPT and gdisk but in the end I get the same result. Everything seems to work, but after writing the partition table the old one still comes back after running gdisk again.

After running the program again, I noticed this:

Found invalid GPT and valid MBR: converting to GPT format.

Yeah, I missed the part where you had said you had another Arch install on it already.

-------------

Board footer