You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-17 18:27:50

masterkoppa

Problem Booting into the Arch Live CD

Ok here's the deal, I just built a new computer and I can't get the Arch Linux, or any other Linux Live CD to work. I suspect its a problem with the video since what happens is:

• Arch Linux Starts showing the init procedure.

• When it finishes processing udev events the monitor display stops updating

• But the system is still responsive, its just that the video isn't being shown

The same thing happens with ubuntu, it gets to the splash screen I go to try ubuntu and I hear the login sound but the video is just stuck.

I've tried many different boot options and none have worked. Theses are the specs relevant for the machine:

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z65-V Pro
Graphics: MSI 560 GTX

I can confirm that all the components are working fine since I have windows on it right now.

#2 2011-09-17 18:41:09

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Problem Booting into the Arch Live CD

When you reportthat the arch "iive" cd does not work, do you man the .iso CD downloaded from the internet?

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-09-17 18:43:05

masterkoppa

Yes, when I try to boot into the Arch Live system the described happens.

BTW Im using the latest Live CD Version.

#4 2011-09-18 01:46:36

lilsirecho
Veteran

What procedure do you use when it reaches the prompt?  The arch "live"cd is an install device which utilizes a set group of steps to permit loading archlinux with a minimal system.

If using the 2010-05 cd you would be best advised to use FTP install in order to get the latest kernel.  The kernel in the cd is version 33.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#5 2011-09-18 14:04:57

Lone_Wolf

the problem is probably due to the presence of TWO graphic chipsets :
- the integrated intel graphics on the processor
- the nvidia graphics card

Currently the video output is probably send to the nvidia card, while the MB shows the output of the integrated one. (or reverse)
There may be a boot option to choose a specific card.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#6 2011-09-23 14:04:19

no_originality

I'm having the same problem on my laptop except it uses the new AMD A6 apu. I'm pretty sure it isn't supported in the opensource drivers yet.

#7 2011-09-24 01:08:56

hunterthomson
Website

Just a thought.

What about install Archlinux on the HHD on a working box. Then blacklist all video drivers except for vesa video driver. If that dose not work then black list vesa and try a different one that may support your hardware. I 'think' that the vesa driver is the one that is running during the early part of the boot, so that may work. Then once you have a working term try better drivers one by one.

Linux is vary portable, so there should be no problem installing Linux on one box and booting the system on a different box. Like, it should not introduce any new problems.

OpenBSD-current Thinkpad X230, i7-3520M, 16GB CL9 Kingston, Samsung 830 256GB
Contributor: linux-grsec

Board footer