You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-15 16:19:22

Greg
Website

xmms pkg & alsa?

hello!

i ain't sure if it's the right section, but anyway:
xmms works very well without alsa... i ain't using alsa, so now, i have to compile every new xmms-build on my own.
so how about 2 different xmms-packages? or is there any reason to use alsa if my soundcard is well supported by the kernel?

#2 2003-09-15 16:42:27

dp
Website

Re: xmms pkg & alsa?

Greg wrote:

hello!

xmms works very well without alsa... i ain't using alsa, so now, i have to compile every new xmms-build on my own.
so how about 2 different xmms-packages? or is there any reason to use alsa if my soundcard is well supported by the kernel?

2 packages with the same software? no i dont think this is a nice solution

but i think it would be usefull to have alsa-plugin for xmms as package and also arts-plugin for xmms and some others ... they are available separately, so there is no problem to buid them --- i would try to build the plugins as packages, but i have for the next 3 weeks no chance to do so, sorry

http://www.xmms.org/plugins.php?category=output

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#3 2003-09-15 17:20:35

Toth

Greg wrote:

hello!

Just because alsa-lib and alsa-driver are installed doesn't mean that you are using ALSA. Those packages will not effect anything as long as the ALSA modules are not loaded.

Note, however, that while there is no need to use ALSA now, ALSA will be the default sound system in the Linux Kernel version 2.6 and above. Thus it is probably a good idea to start preparing for that by making sure ALSA support is available in most applications.

#4 2003-09-15 17:32:51

apeiro
Daddy
Website

Toth wrote:

Note, however, that while there is no need to use ALSA now, ALSA will be the default sound system in the Linux Kernel version 2.6 and above. Thus it is probably a good idea to start preparing for that by making sure ALSA support is available in most applications.

Agreed.  This is why we'll be starting to add native alsa support to Arch packages.

#5 2003-09-15 17:35:10

Arielext
Website

apeiro wrote:
Toth wrote:

Agreed.  This is why we'll be starting to add native alsa support to Arch packages.

yeah! So i wasn't talking sh*t all those months smile

apt-get install arch

Board footer