You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-18 14:43:46

momus

Help with simple tiling wm

Hello,

i really love the ion3 window manager, and the last days i have been playering around with dwm, i3, xmonad and some other strange things to get
a simular experience like with ion3, but failed to come close.

To be honest, i am sure all of this fancy high trimmed tiling wm can do the job, but it gives me no pleasure to play around for hours with some strange
configuration files.

So my pathetic question is, could someone please tell me witch which wm and how i can get the following things done?

#have multiple workspaces ( four, static, is enougth )
#have predifined layouts on each ( two simple terminals on the first, one maximized screen on the second, ... stuff like that )
#autload applications to the right workspace and layout position

Thats it. I dont need a panel, no dynamic arangement of windows or stuff like that.

thank you very much!

#2 2011-09-18 14:55:50

lifeafter2am

Re: Help with simple tiling wm

momus wrote:

Hello,

i really love the ion3 window manager, and the last days i have been playering around with dwm, i3, xmonad and some other strange things to get
a simular experience like with ion3, but failed to come close.

To be honest, i am sure all of this fancy high trimmed tiling wm can do the job, but it gives me no pleasure to play around for hours with some strange
configuration files.

So my pathetic question is, could someone please tell me witch which wm and how i can get the following things done?

#have predifined layouts on each ( two simple terminals on the first, one maximized screen on the second, ... stuff like that )

Thats it. I dont need a panel, no dynamic arangement of windows or stuff like that.

thank you very much!

Xmonad gives you 9 workspaces by default, can have predefined layouts on each, and can make applications open on certain workspaces.  TBH just following the simple XMonad tutorial on the site you will be able to do most, if not all of this.  Once you have a good base xmonad.hs, you can easily add in the windowHooks that allow for the applications to be pushed to workspaces.

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#3 2011-09-18 18:53:00

gorky

momus wrote:

awesome has all of these features, but it's not so much minimalistic (e.g. it has a panel). You can give it a try, though, because the default settings in the config file are pretty close to your requirements (you'd only have to define the applications autoload).

I also quite liked i3, a new version with lot of changes was released very recently (don't know which version you had tried).

Last edited by gorky (2011-09-18 19:00:51)

#4 2011-09-18 19:12:12

x33a
Forum Fellow

Any decent tiling wm can do these, including dwm (not sure about the layout position in dwm though).

But, as lifeafter2am said, xmonad might be a good choice, as it has excellent documentation. Only drawback is ghc, which takes up a lot of space.

# pacman -Si ghc | grep Size
Download Size  : 61210.80 K
Installed Size : 538864.00 K

#5 2011-09-18 20:49:27

lifeafter2am

x33a wrote:

Any decent tiling wm can do these, including dwm (not sure about the layout position in dwm though).

But, as lifeafter2am said, xmonad might be a good choice, as it has excellent documentation. Only drawback is ghc, which takes up a lot of space.

# pacman -Si ghc | grep Size
Download Size  : 61210.80 K
Installed Size : 538864.00 K

Yeah .... I hate ghc!  wink

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

#6 2011-09-18 23:56:07

ANOKNUSA

If you're looking for extremely simple configs, DWM and WMFS are good choices.  This is from my own experience, though; Subtle and Ratpoison are also supposed to have simple configs, and are also manual rather than dynamic tilers, so have some other options you can play with.

Board footer