You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-21 15:29:35

leoplanet

Compiz Unable to select 'Window Decoration' as non-root user

Hi I have installed Arch with Gnome 3 as my desktop environment.

I am trying to install compiz. After installing compiz-fusion-gtk I opened ccsm. Within ccsm I am unable to 'check/tick' the 'Window Decoration' option.

When I open ccsm as root

sudo ccsm

I am able to tick the 'Window Decoration' option but this has not effect.

Your help is appreciated.

#2 2011-09-21 21:27:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Compiz Unable to select 'Window Decoration' as non-root user

Running graphical applications with "sudo" can mess up your file permissions, so check that you still own everything under ~/.config/compiz, or ~/.gconf, depending on which back-end you're using. Reposess the files/folders if they've been taken over by root, and in future, use gksu or gksudo to launch graphical applications as root (you shouldn't need to launch ccsm as root anyway).

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2011-09-22 08:01:33

Padfoot

As far as I am aware, Gnome 3 is not compatible with compiz. Gnome 3's wm is gnome-shell which uses mutter with javascript to do it's work. It's a vastly different beast of a wm compared with metacity/kwin/xfwm4. This will be why you do not have any window decorations.

I am unsure if selecting fallback mode will work either. I believe this still uses mutter rather than metacity, though i may be wrong.

You could always try replacing gnome-shell with another wm, of course this will entirely change how your gnome desktop looks and behaves.

Cheers.

#4 2011-09-22 12:20:56

leoplanet

Padfoot wrote:

As far as I am aware, Gnome 3 is not compatible with compiz. Gnome 3's wm is gnome-shell which uses mutter with javascript to do it's work. It's a vastly different beast of a wm compared with metacity/kwin/xfwm4. This will be why you do not have any window decorations.

I am unsure if selecting fallback mode will work either. I believe this still uses mutter rather than metacity, though i may be wrong.

You could always try replacing gnome-shell with another wm, of course this will entirely change how your gnome desktop looks and behaves.

Cheers.

WorMzy wrote:

Running graphical applications with "sudo" can mess up your file permissions, so check that you still own everything under ~/.config/compiz, or ~/.gconf, depending on which back-end you're using. Reposess the files/folders if they've been taken over by root, and in future, use gksu or gksudo to launch graphical applications as root (you shouldn't need to launch ccsm as root anyway).

Thank you both for your help. I am not so unhappy with Gnome 3 that I would want to take a chance of breaking it smile. I'll leave it as is for now. What I really wanted to do was be able to change the Icon set and colours a little but don't know how. Not perticularly fussed by the 'wobbly windows'.

#5 2011-09-23 07:49:21

Padfoot

Gnome Appearance settings dialog will let you change your gtk theme (colours and widgets) and icon theme.

Board footer