You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-21 21:14:19

ftglater

DE Graphics Errors, Artifacts

I installed arch linux 64 with KDE and started using it, but after 10 minutes or so with a few windows open on KDE I start getting visual artifacts on the desktop (mostly on different KDM visual elements, but it seems like they can appear anywhere. I also get pieces of icons and such just missing).

Last time I ran it, the whole desktop eventually just disappeared and I was left with the whole screen filled with white text on black background, but I still had a mouse, then the screen turned black after which it came back like one giant artifact, all filled with gray and some other random colors. Lastly it switched back to showing the KDE web browser, but with elements missing and at a lowered monitor resolution, at which point I was able to turn the system off using ctrl-alt-del.

I guess it's either some problem with the GPU drivers or X11?

I use a Radeon 6950 GPU and xf86-video-ati 6.14.2-1. Should have the latest version of X11 and KDE as well. When I checked my graphics card it felt like it was hotter than it usually is when I run it with Windows 7.

Last edited by ftglater (2011-09-22 11:12:00)

#2 2011-10-05 18:08:31

Markus00000

Re: DE Graphics Errors, Artifacts

I, too, get artifacts which sometimes disappear again mostly upon moving/resizing windows.

The artifacts are primarily red garbage pixels. Terminal windows get crumbled text from time to time.

I am using xmonad and an Intel HD.

This issue has been coming back for months. Sometimes I didn't see any artifacts for weeks.

Board footer