You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-22 04:41:13

rkalla

Installing Gnome 3 w/ all the Laptop-friendly Goodies

[Super n00by Question]

When I install Fedora 15 on my ThinkPad T60, it goes on really smoothly with seemingly every service and feature enabled in Gnome that I want... power management, touch pad configuration WITH additional settings like double-swipe for scrolling, Gnome3 widgets for Bluetooth, Wireless, online state, etc.

All of this setup and ready to go.

So I began toying around with Arch, love that it is essentially Gentoo minus all the waiting, and eventually got around to installing gnome and gnome-extras. The desktop wasn't as clean or as function as the Fedora build of Gnome3 and I am having a hard time getting my bearings on which apps I'm missing to make them roughly equivalent.

I've been through the Gnome wiki page and it is brilliant, but there are still little touches like the touchpad configuration panel that I'm missing, I think the printer configuration was different and a few other things.

In general, I'm just curious what the right approach to getting my bearings here and moving forward would be. The easiest is "Well just use Fedora", certainly a valid option, but if I were in this for the education and wanted to get my Arch install setup like a Fedora one how would one go about doing that?

If this is too broad of a question (like I said, I don't have a good perspective on this) let me know and I'll ditch it and just go back to clawing forward one missing app at a time.

#2 2011-09-22 04:50:10

lifeafter2am

Re: Installing Gnome 3 w/ all the Laptop-friendly Goodies

Are you using a synaptics touchpad?  If so you might want to look at this: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synaptics

#binarii @ irc.binarii.net
Matrix Server: https://matrix.binarii.net
-------------
Allan -> ArchBang is not supported because it is stupid.

Board footer