You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-22 17:23:42

Gen2ly
Website

[Solved ] uPNP or DLNA Server for an Older Laptop

Hey guys,

I'd like to know your experiences/thoughts on running a uPNP or DLNA media server from my laptop.  My situation is that I have a small home network (a wireless/wired router) that is connected to my laptop and my PS3.  I'd like to be able to stream my music, pics... from my laptop only my TV via the PS3.  My laptop is about seven years old but isn't bogged down and runs good so I was wondering if it might be capable to do this.  If so, I'd like to know your experiences with various different servers.  It looks like MediaTomb is the common choice but I also see uShare which I've seen described as a lightweight uPnP media server - personally I'm open to anything.  Anyone had any experiences or heard any about these?

Last edited by Gen2ly (2011-09-24 06:10:25)

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#2 2011-09-22 19:10:16

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: [Solved ] uPNP or DLNA Server for an Older Laptop

I was very happy with Mediatomb, did its job very well as a UPnP server.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

#3 2011-09-24 06:10:09

Gen2ly
Website

Woah.  Thats neat.  Config was easy and it doesn't seem to be too heady (use too many resources).  Not only that but it shows up right on my PS3 no configuring or nothing.  There is a delay (couple seconds each time) for my audio tracks - changing tracks in particular so a bit odd.  The only bit that I wished that MediaTomb could do is to be able to specify which directories are for Music, Pictures and Video as these are separate categories on my PS3 but will show all directories in each category on the PS3.  Happy anyhow.  Thanks .:B:.

Setting Up a Scripting Environment | Proud donor to wikipedia - link

#4 2011-09-24 08:37:37

.:B:.
Forum Fellow
Website

I think you can define categories in the XML config, but not sure about that.

Got Leenucks? :: Arch: Power in simplicity :: Get Counted! Registered Linux User #392717 :: Blog thingy

Board footer