You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-22 18:36:52

einfarben

[Solved (partially)] Portable Arch install

So here's my situation.

I am sick of ubuntu and its jumbled, not-really-configurable version of linux.

I've looked into several different linux cores and arch seems to fit my style best.
Since I want something simple and straightforward that ONLY has the features that I need.

What I do with linux:

ruby programming
rails development
internet browsing
file browsing
text editting (plain and rich text)

So... I was wondering how large of an pen drive it would take to have a portable arch install with the following:
firefox
chrome
opera
gnome
ruby
rubygems
rails
vim

I was also wondering how I would go about installing the software on the pen drive:
I've read through Beginners' Guide & USB key, but when I try to boot from the pen drive drops to an emergency shell and complains that the boot files don't exist.

I tried adding usb to the hooks (directly after udev).
I tried adding a sleep and mount -a command in the boot process.
I found a few forum posts talking about projects like mine, but nothing that worked and I cannot relocate the most helpful one.

So nothing is working quite right.

Also, what packages do I need to make sure my wireless internet connection works?

Final task: adding extra packages to the install media

Is there any way to do that? I haven't had much luck finding anything like that.

Last edited by einfarben (2011-09-25 03:27:37)

#2 2011-09-22 20:30:53

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: [Solved (partially)] Portable Arch install

Perhaps you would like to try CTKArchLive which runs archlinux from a 560MB download and can run from flash or cd'dvd.

It is persistent and can have the items you mention installed with addons.

I have used it for two years and find it quite useful and very speedy when using the flash drive in IDE mode.

It runs in ram and can be installed entirely to ram which allows use of the cd (if using that method for install)for other things.

With a pen drive, the read speed will slow the install but the operating speed is set by the ram speed.

I have installed vlc, feh, mirage,kdenlive among others in CTKArchLive via addons.

The pen drive can be 1GB but I recommend 2GB with one partition for ctkArchLive and the second parttion for ctkhome for including addons.

The download is about 560MB and is either i686 or x86_64 as options.

You will find it is native french with a boot option for US keyboard and English.

Worth more than a try!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#3 2011-09-25 03:27:03

einfarben

Re: [Solved (partially)] Portable Arch install

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've tried it out and I think I really like this.

Board footer