You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-23 19:11:28

bronco21016

Openbox + cairo-compmgr

I've been using Arch with a super minimal install with XBMC for about a year now but have finally bought myself an AppleTV2 to run my XBMC on. With the hardware now free I finally setup the XBMC box as a desktop to use instead of my dieing laptop. I have a little familiarity with this stuff but I'm still learning. Anyways.... I could find any answers to this anywhere so I'm finally posting on the forum.

I have setup Openbox with a SLIM login screen. I've also installed cairo-compmgr to get some eye candy and have pypanel isntalled as well. When I leave the desktop I sometimes like to leave it running so things like NFS and what not can keep going for the ATV2 and XBMC but I want to logout so nobody can do anything on the desktop. What I was doing was simply right clicking on the desktop and clicking Logout that comes in the default menu.xml. At first it worked fine but last night it started hanging up. I found the only way to finally get it to sign out was to right click the compmgr icon on pypanel and choose exit. Once I do that it goes to the SLIM screen right away. Is there a way to clean up this logout process so I don't have to manually shutdown compmgr everytime? I'm sure it's simply a setting somewhere that I'm missing. If this has been answered before let me know and I'll keep digging. I just couldn't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

#2 2011-09-24 14:11:14

roygbiv

Re: Openbox + cairo-compmgr

Are you starting cairo-compmgr from ~/.config/openbox/autostart ? If not, try that. What's in your ~/.xinitrc and your menu.xml?

#3 2011-09-24 14:43:56

Unia
Website

In whatever script you're using to autostart applications (~/.config/openbox/autostart or ~/.xinitrc) do you have an & after the cairo-compmgr line? Like so

cairo-compmgr &

If not, try that.

If you can't sit by a cozy fire with your code in hand enjoying its simplicity and clarity, it needs more work. --Carlos Torres

#4 2011-09-28 21:55:42

bronco21016

I've been starting cairo-compmgr from (~/.xinitrc) and it currently doens't have a & at the end of cairo-compmgr...

cairo-compmgr

Is what it currently looks like.

Interesting today though I installed Dropbox today to use with KeePassX (highly recommend this setup) and when I opened (~/.xinitrc) to add the dropboxd line to it I decided to add the & to cairo-compmgr to see if that would fix it. After trying that it wouldn't even let me login through SLIM. I edited it back on another tty and it signs in again but still no clean logout. I'm going to try putting it on the (~/.config/openbox/autostart) script to see if that fixes it after I make this post and close everything out.

Thanks for the responses guys. I'll post back results in a few minutes.

#5 2011-09-28 22:05:59

bronco21016

Looks like I was able to get it fixed with some trial and error between the two scripts.

My (~/.xinitrc) now reads...

exec openbox-session

...and (~/.config/openbox/autostart) reads...

pypanel &
dropboxd &
cairo-compmgr

Right clicking and clicking Logout now closes the window manager and the other programs and returns me to the SLIM login screen. Now is there any way of getting rid of that annoying flicker back to the tty page between SLIM and Openbox?

Thanks for the nudge in where to experiment guys.

Board footer