You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-25 05:31:43

zoqaeski

Creating flash drive install disk

Windows is stupid. I followed the steps to create an Arch installer on a flash drive and keep it usable as a drive while I still had access to an Arch machine, and I thought it worked. To an extent, it does; it boots and the installer loads fine. But I can't use the drive because Windows won't recognise the FAT32 partition on it, and keeps telling me I need to format the drive.

I partitioned the drive with two partitions, the first is a FAT32 and the second is an ext4 one with the installer on it. I don't have access to a  Linux computer to modify the partitions, and all my data is on ext4 partitions which Windows won't read, so I can't copy across the ISO I downloaded and start again from scratch using the basic Arch Live installer.

Does the Arch live image need to be extracted onto a separate partition to boot, or can I just put it on a FAT32 drive? I think I might have a way to "fix" my flash drive so it works on all systems, but I don't know for sure.

#2 2011-09-25 06:00:22

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Creating flash drive install disk

Moderator comment.

I agree that Windows can be frustrating.  I think that your particular anthropomorphism is not just technically wrong, it also runs afoul of our policy regarding the respect of other operating systems

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2011-09-25 06:01:59

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Creating flash drive install disk

How is the drive partitioned?  I think Windows wants the entire drive to be formated as FAT32, as opposed to having a partition table.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer