You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-25 19:40:14

omelette

[Solved] Thunar <-> Fluxbox - gvfs trash/network problems...

Hi.  First off, I know Thunar is specifically meant to work with Xfce, but I'd like to get it working with Fluxbox if possible.

I've tried launching Thunar from Fluxbox's 'startup' configuration file as a daemon with the following line;

dbus-launch thunar --daemon &

This will start Thunar ok and it also evokes gvfs, but not the trash/network parts.  If I leave out the '--daemon' bit in the above line, it now loads the gvfs trash/network bits but will also open a Thunar window which is undesirable.  Worse, once I close this Thunar window and reopen another one, although the gvfs trash/network modules are still running from the previous window, the new Thunar window opens minus the trash & network icons!  I have also tried launching it from rc.local with similar results.  As I'm using 'idesk' icons, I've even tried launching Thunar through these but this just results in new gvfs components being launched each time a window is opened - so it's either too many trash/network modules or none at all!!!

I've found similar inquiries from a  few other people and none seem to have found a satisfactory solution to this.  So, has anyone managed to get Thunar to work properly with Fluxbox???

Last edited by omelette (2011-09-26 01:44:39)

#2 2011-09-25 20:01:55

moetunes

Re: [Solved] Thunar <-> Fluxbox - gvfs trash/network problems...

Thunar has always worked fine in fluxbox for me. It comes down to how you start fluxbox. If you use ~/.xinitrc the best way to have thunar behave as you want is to start fluxbox

exec ck-launch-session dbus-launch --exit-with-session startfluxbox

then if you use thunar as a daemon or not gvfs will play nice smile

Cheers

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#3 2011-09-25 20:03:46

karol
Archivist

How do yo start fluxbox? Post you .xinitrc.

Edit:
Note to self: always refresh before posting.

Last edited by karol (2011-09-25 20:04:59)

#4 2011-09-26 01:43:34

omelette

Excellent, that sorted it!  And it also helped clear up my confusion about that 'ck-launch-session' I've seen mentioned so often in my Arch-travels - up until now, whenever I tried running it, nothing appeared to happen.  It turns out you need to install 'consolekit' for this functionality, which I didn't have.

Thank you for that.  smile

Board footer