You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-25 22:33:03

newarch2011

pm-utils issue with laptop lid close

when i close the lid of my laptop i configured /etc/acpi/handler.sh to run slimlock using the example from the arch wiki acpid page and slimlock never runs. another issue is when i also use the example to send it to sleep the pc doesnt. i reopen the laptop the screen pops back on and then a couple seconds later it actually enters sleep mode.

could it just be the laptop being stubborn or is there more of an issue here? i copied and pasted from the wiki so it should be working.

#2 2011-09-25 22:48:20

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: pm-utils issue with laptop lid close

newarch2011 wrote:

i copied and pasted from the wiki so it should be working...

Why would you think that? The wiki, excellent as it is, is just the sum of knowledge that active members of the community have contributed over a period of time. It is not intended as a copy-paste tool.

As an Arch user, you are still expected to assume responsibility for your system and to understand what is going on with it. If you need help, then ask here, but do so in a way that makes it possible for people to assist you.

Forum Etiquette wrote:

When asking questions, provide as much information as possible, including error messages, terminal output, logs, what you have previously tried, what documentation and searches you have attempted, and related configuration files. Read How To Ask Questions The Smart Way for more helpful advice.

All anyone can pick up from this post is that you use a laptop...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2011-09-25 22:57:49

newarch2011

I have a Dell Latitude D410 with the most current version of Arch installed and updated. I am trying to get slimlock to launch and my laptop screen to turn off when the lid is closed. This way I can open it up and it is secured unless a username and password is entered. The wiki code for shutting the screen off works but I cannot seem to get it to launch slimlock, and if I attempt to have it sleep it only works roughly 5-10 seconds after the laptop is reopened. It does not seem to trigger properly when I close the lid nor does slimlock ever launch. Slimlock and pm-utils are installed and working correctly.

#4 2011-09-25 23:22:10

lucke

Did you run "acpi_listen" to see when the laptop actually emits the LID event (on closing the lid or opening it)?

Did you put your username in the place of "username" in the "DISPLAY=:0.0 su -c - username /usr/bin/slimlock" line?

#5 2011-09-25 23:32:16

newarch2011

lucke wrote:

Did you run "acpi_listen" to see when the laptop actually emits the LID event (on closing the lid or opening it)?

Did you put your username in the place of "username" in the "DISPLAY=:0.0 su -c - username /usr/bin/slimlock" line?

just did that and it seems to work except for the fact i have to enter my password 2-4 times before it unlocks though its possible i was typing too fast or it has to do with x trying to respawn too quickly with my testing. i tested on another laptop which seems towork but the d410 was still having issues.

#6 2011-10-01 22:41:27

newarch2011

i did a test with lidsleep from AUR and found something interesting but not sure where to look as to why it occurs. the button/lid event trigger both when the lid closes AND when it opens. so when testing lidsleep the machine does run pm-suspend when i close the lid but then again when it is opened. any suggestions for a solution?

#7 2011-10-02 03:02:16

lucke

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Su … _on_events and http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to_configure_acpid should give you an idea how to test if the lid is open or closed.

Board footer