You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-26 00:40:02

nexus7

nice fb-input method around?

Hi folks!

Does anybody know a usable CJK input method for console (=without X)...?

Well, I've been using fbterm-ucimf and ibus-fbterm so far, but they're both not suitable for me. While the first accepts one ideograph//syllable only at input, the latter doesn't allow spaces, and one must type the escape-sequence first and delete trailing "??" afterwards.  tongue

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#2 2011-09-26 04:38:08

the sad clown

Re: nice fb-input method around?

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

#3 2011-09-26 05:31:38

lilydjwg

You can try fcitx-fbterm. (But currently it can only input Chinese.) Also, zhcon is able to display and input CJK, but the display is buggy here.

#4 2011-09-26 12:21:15

nexus7

@ the sad clown: went there already, mainly X-stuff wink

@ lilydjwg: Ah yes, tried zhcon as well years before, but as you said, it is buggy...

I need an IM mainly for Korean and Chinese. And as a vim user, I don't want to change to emacs for LEIM only.
Anybody finally got that uim-fep up and running?

we are Arch.
you will be assimilated!
resistance is futile!

#5 2012-03-19 04:44:22

Zeniff

I was in the same exact situation as you last year! O_O

Yes, I finally got uim-fep to work, and, although it has its own issues, it's the best option for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, etc on the console (IMHO).

The way I got it to work was by running its config GUI in X, pref-uim-gtk, which created the apparently-necessary-but-undocumented ~/.uim.d/customs/ files...

I then copied that directory into another Arch installation, and was able to use uim-fep without needing to run the GUI config program.  I also never needed to mess with any locale settings.

Configuring keys to turn on/off, convert, etc was difficult, since some shortcuts seem to only work either in X or on console, but not both, so I had to go back and forth with the GUI and console until I got keys working that I liked (I eventually decided to stick with uim-fep on console and iBus/SCIM in X).  One annoying bug in uim-fep is that it doesn't seem to be able to cycle through input methods in the console. Toggling between two methods works, which is fine unless you need more. It still works much better than others, though! smile  ( I couldn't even get LEIM to work right, and just ended up using uim-fep by itself in emacs/vim.)

Also, I got the Chewing (Zhuyin/Bopomofo) input method for uim-fep from: http://code.google.com/p/uim/downloads/ … z&can=2&q=  (Once I have time, I hope to make an AUR package for it).  Strangely, though, I had to re-install it some time after upgrading Arch because it disappeared.

The only other console input that worked for multiple languages very well was a Unicode text editor "MinEd" in AUR: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=12042  It's a nice editor, but if you prefer another, you'd have to copy/kill-paste/yank text to where you want it.

Last edited by Zeniff (2012-03-19 05:04:36)

Board footer