You are not logged in.

#1 2011-09-28 12:40:09

blackone

Pacman and list of mirriors and modem/router change.

Hi all

I am wondering how pacman decides which mirror it will use to update.

My problem is that since swapping out my modem/router pacman has been unable to update.  I have just changed /etc/pacman.d/mirrors to point to a different mirror in an effort to correct the problem but it seems to be tied to the mirror it originally had - mirrors.uk2.net.  Having said that it is not using the new mirror either - distrib-coffee.ispl.jussieu.fr.

Also is pacman somehow tied to one router or what ip the router assigns to the machine, and cannot adjust to new ip settings?

TIA

david

Last edited by blackone (2011-09-28 12:40:57)

#2 2011-09-28 12:45:59

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Pacman and list of mirriors and modem/router change.

It's /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist - was that a typo, or did you really create/use a file called 'mirrors'?

pacman does't care about your router, or your ip address - it assumes that a correctly configured net connection exists. Is it possible that your router change introduced a dns issue?

#3 2011-09-28 14:38:33

falconindy
Developer
Website

Technically, it's whatever file you point to in /etc/pacman.conf. The default happens to be called /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist since that's the name of the file we distribute with the pacman-mirrorlist package.

#4 2011-09-28 15:15:10

blackone

It probably is mirrorlist - just a typo on my part.

A dns issue?  I am not sure.  I have looked in /etc/resolv.conf and that shows the new router ip.  I dont seem to be able to do ifconfig as whatever that is associated with is not installed.

But it does seem to have fixated on the uk2.mirrors.net for pacman.

I shall do some more digging.

#5 2011-09-28 15:42:09

anonymous_user

Make sure the mirror you want to use is the first uncommented one. Also you might be interested in:

http://www.archlinux.org/mirrorlist/

Board footer