You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-02 14:56:40

Kin

KDE / gnome hang while starting

Hi,

well, KDE and Gnome hang while starting them, when I change back to console, I can read the following:

xset: bad font path element (#63), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

I reinstalled xorg, kde, gnome, but again it simply hangs, xorg starts up normally, but when changing to kde or gnome it hangs
xfce4, wmi, dr17 run well.
I didn change any config filel...

So any idea what could be wrong ?

thanks

Kin

PS.: Is there a possiblility to let pacman reinstall ALL packages that are already installed ?

#2 2005-06-07 09:17:30

nightfrost

Re: KDE / gnome hang while starting

I have the exact same problem! In fact, the last 24 hourse I've been installing arch 5-6 times on a couple of machines. The behaviour I get now is that when I first boot into KDE everything's fine. If I reboot the machine and the to log in to KDE again, it will seemingly hang at "initializing system services". However, I've noticed that if I let it be for about 5-6 minutes it will slowly and painfully log in to KDE. There are no relevant error messages that I can see anywhere...

#3 2005-06-07 14:29:28

nightfrost

Hi again. I'm not sure if you're problem actually is the same as mine, but I seem to have found a remedy for now.

I installed xfce4 in order to see if the problem would be there as well. It wasn't. I could log in, and had no problem using the desktop and launching mozilla, xmms, and some other apps. Qt apps wouldn't start. Launching konqueror from xterm, for example, would give nothing (not even error messages), after 5-6 minutes I would get some error messages referring to files under /opt/kde/share/apps/ [not sure about the dir, as I'm not by my computer now- but I think that's it]. So I changed the permissions for everything under that dir (recursively) to 755. Now I can log in and launch apps. There might be unexpected problems with this-- It never feels good changing permissions on system files just like that; but it was either that or a different distro.. sheesh...

#4 2005-06-08 09:03:14

nightfrost

Edit: This made a new install of gentoo on another machine in order to double check my "solution", and this time it didn't work. It might not have worked on my main machine either, as the problem seems to randomly disappear every now and then (I haven't logged out since it worked last).

I really need help with this, so please anyone..?

#5 2005-06-08 13:12:35

tpowa
Developer

the famous hang on startup, sounds like you have no entry of your network card in hosts?
add your network ip to hosts
then it should start right away

#6 2005-06-08 13:26:17

nightfrost

Thanks for the suggestion, tpowa. This is what I have in my /etc/hosts

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain   myhost

and I think that should be alright... but I still have the hangups :-/

EDIT: I have 'myhost' in /etc/rc.conf as well

#7 2005-06-08 15:30:11

tpowa
Developer

you don't have a eth device right?
else please insert your eth0 ip to /etc/hosts and give it a name!
other option would be to disable route and eth device in rc.conf

#8 2005-06-08 18:58:29

nightfrost

Thanks again for the reply. But I'm not sure I understand. I've never had to add anything else to /etc/hosts  before. And the problem is, I have a laptop that I use at at least four or five different locations. And the ip-address is always assigned through dhcp. How should I edit hosts in this case?

#9 2005-06-08 19:59:13

tpowa
Developer

kde makes use of network functionality if you don't have ip and name entered to /etc/hosts it could happen that name resolvement get stuck that's the problem with long startup time.
I don't use dhcp so i don't know how to solve that but you can at least try to give it a static ip and a entry in /etc/hosts like:
192.160.0.10 mypc
and try again if startup is ok after that.

#10 2005-06-08 20:18:36

nightfrost

Just tried that. The problem's still there. The first messages that come out in the console when things start to happen (i.e. KDE gets past "initializing system....") seem interesting. They are a multitude that I've never seen before. Both hal and dbus are mentioned (but I've already tried without starting those daemons- still the same). I'd like to post those error messages, but I can't find them in neither Xorg.0.log, nor any other log file I've found under /var/log. Do the messages get logged somewhere? I start kde with startx and "exec startkde" in .xinitrc.

I'm really confused as to what this can be    :?

#11 2005-06-08 21:53:06

nightfrost

I just found and read through the kde 3.4.1 thread. Do you think I should continue my woes and worries in that thread, tpowa? That thread is so long already, though...

Anyway; I made a new installation of arch just to acknowlegde this: everything works just fine until first reboot. I can log out and in and whatnot, but after the first reboot the problems start. Also, after I'm inside KDE, every single KDE/qt-app (at least those I tried) takes about 5 minutes to start.

#12 2005-06-08 22:49:13

nightfrost

I thought I was going crazy and paranoid for a while there, but it seems like I'm not alone: This person's problem is mine exactly. Also he managed to find the log file, and the error messages he has posted are very similar to mine. We definitely have the same problem...

Edit: Sorry, I forgot to post the link to the thread at the gentoo forums. He's got some additional info there that might help trouble shooting. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-31 … 1d8eae2383

#13 2005-06-09 05:43:05

tpowa
Developer

hi
could you please test if the kdebase recompile does help on your system?
i posted a little howto recompile kdebase in kde thread
If it does help i'll upload a new kdebase package this weekend.
greetings and thanks for your help.

#14 2005-06-09 06:19:15

nightfrost

I've actually already tried with a rebuilt kdebase, as I had one already ready with improvement patches from kde-look.org. But that didn't change anything. Also, it seems like all qt, as well as gtk apps are affected. Under xfce any such apps take an age to start up. If you still want me to make another rebuild of kdebase w/o the patches, just tell me.

PS. I edited my last posta and added the link to the other thread I mentioned.

#15 2005-06-09 06:26:59

tpowa
Developer

ok you could try without the patches.
but i think your problem is more network related, you could also try to activate fam like in the wiki described, search for fam and you will find the right page.
you could also try with a fresh user and run kbuildsycoca from xfce and watch the output carefully. it builds the user cache

Do you have a route activated that does not exist?
Do you have a wrong dns entry?

do you get kwin crashes too? the kdebase rebuilt is more for kwin crashes to test if it fix that problem

#16 2005-06-09 06:57:33

nightfrost

OK; I'm rebuilding it right now. Will tell you how it goes when I'm done. I do agree with you though, I think it's something else, probably network related. And I don't have the kwin crashes the others have mentioned.

Furthermore, I have followed the wiki you mention, and pretty much all the info I could find anywhere. I have tried with fam running. I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to networking, so I'll post /etc/host* here, as well as rc.conf. Most settings I post here have worked earlier under arch (I guess things went bad after kde 3.4.1), and the settings of /etc/hosts is the one I've used over the years under all distros I've tried. I will try to run kbuildsycoca.

I'm suspicious of the contents of hosts.deny, although I don't understand it. I've also tried to run with routes and gateway commented in rc.conf.

OK, here goes:

/etc/host.conf

#
# /etc/host.conf
#

order hosts,bind
multi on

# End of file

/etc/hosts

#
# /etc/hosts: static lookup table for host names
#

#<ip-address>    <hostname.domain.org>    <hostname>
127.0.0.1        localhost    nightfrost

# End of file

/etc/hosts.allow

#
# /etc/hosts.allow
#

# End of file

/etc/hosts.deny

#
# /etc/hosts.deny
#

ALL: ALL: DENY

# End of file

/etc/rc.conf

#
# /etc/rc.conf - Main Configuration for Arch Linux
#

#
# Localization
#
# HARDWARECLOCK: set to "UTC" or "localtime"
# TIMEZONE: timezones are found in /usr/share/zoneinfo
# KEYMAP: keymaps are found in /usr/share/kbd/keymaps
# CONSOLEFONT: found in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts (only needed for non-US)
# CONSOLEMAP: found in /usr/share/kbd/unimaps
# USECOLOR: use ANSI color sequences in startup messages
#
HARDWARECLOCK="localtime"
TIMEZONE=Europe/Stockholm
KEYMAP=sv-latin1
CONSOLEFONT=lat9v-16
CONSOLEMAP=
USECOLOR="yes"

# Scan for LVM volume groups at startup, required if you use LVM
USELVM="no"

#
# Networking
#
HOSTNAME="nightfrost"

#
# Module to load at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a module with a ! to disable it)
#
MODULES=(!usbserial !ide-scsi !hw_random evdev 
    snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm-oss snd-mixer-oss snd-seq-oss 
    ohci1394 usb_storage ieee80211_crypt ieee80211 ipw2200)

#
# Interfaces to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each interface then list in INTERFACES
#   (prefix an interface in INTERFACES with a ! to disable it)
#
# Note: to use DHCP, set your interface to be "dhcp" (eth0="dhcp")
#
lo="lo 127.0.0.1"
eth0="dhcp"
eth1="dhcp"
#eth0="eth0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.0.255"
INTERFACES=(lo eth0 eth1)

#
# Routes to start at boot-up (in this order)
# Declare each route then list in ROUTES
#   (prefix a route in ROUTES with a ! to disable it)
#
gateway="default gw 192.168.0.1"
ROUTES=(!gateway)

#
# Daemons to start at boot-up (in this order)
#   (prefix a daemon with a ! to disable it)
#   (prefix a daemon with a @ to start it up in the background)
#
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !hotplug dbus hal !pcmcia !netfs ifplugd crond cpufreqd acpid bluetooth !kdm laptop-mode alsa alsamixer portmap fam)

# End of file

#17 2005-06-09 07:44:20

nightfrost

rebuild of kdebase didn't change anything. Running kbuildsycoca with new user from xfce first gives:

[temp@nightfrost ~] kbuildsycoca
Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
Creating link /home/temp/.kde/socket-nightfrost.
Created link from "/home/temp/.kde/socket-nightfrost" to "/tmp/ksocket-temp"

After taking forever, I pressed ctrl-C, after a couple of minutes, this was spat out in xterm

Warning: kbuildsycoca is unable to register with DCOP.
kbuildsycoca running...
kdeinit: Shutting down running client.
DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'kded' to 'klauncher'

After that I tried to run kbuildsycoca again, and this is the result of that:

[temp@nightfrost ~]$ kbuildsycoca
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kpovmodeler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KPovModeler/Document'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kvoctrain'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kvtml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-sid'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/mathml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/richtext'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/tab-separated-values'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-authors'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-comma-separated-values'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-copying'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-credits'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-csh'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-dcl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-dsl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-dtd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-emacs-lisp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-gtkrc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-idl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-install'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-perl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-python'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-readme'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-scheme'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-setext'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sh'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'vimpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sql'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kmid.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/base.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.database'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/base.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.base'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/math.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.math'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kolourpaint.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'katepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-fortran'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'gvimagepart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-krl'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-web'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.text-master'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-doc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/writer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.wordperfect'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/impress.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.ms-powerpoint'

#18 2005-06-09 10:17:05

nightfrost

feeling a bit bad that I might have hijacked this thread I made yet a another installation of Arch (thank lord Arch installs in as fast as it does!), this time with Gnome. I thought this would be a good idea, since the original poster claimed to have problems with both KDE and Gnome, and I have mostly concentrated on KDE here. Anyway, the installation was a breeze, I edited the necessary config files, created a new user and started gnome. Same problem. Nothing happens.

I've been posting every piece of information that I think is useful; if there's anything else I should post, please tell me. Right now, my system is useless and has been the last few days. It's not that only the DE takes several minutes to launch, same goes for basically all gtk- and qt-apps (firefox is working though, thank god).

I don't want this problem to be the cause for me to leave archlinux. In any event, having had a taste of arch, how could I ever bare to use another distro? I'm clueless.

#19 2005-06-09 10:31:41

IceRAM
Website

This idea just came to my mind, as a coder: you might want to run strace on a program, to see why it starts so slow. strace monitors system calls and saves them to a file (this file can become pretty big (~MB)). "man strace" for details.

This way you could see if it looks for missing files and stuff like this.

This is not a solution, but might be a start. Debugging is not very pleasant.

#20 2005-06-09 11:42:58

nightfrost

Thanks a lot for the suggestion IceRAM. I ran strace - o strace.log startx. I'm not sure if that's how I should do it. I also tried running with the -c and the -f flag as well. But that didn't work too well (with both flags startx complained that it couldn't mv Xorg.0.log to Xorg.0.log.old, and with only -c the log wouldn't be written). The log file isn't very big, but I'll only post the bit just before kde hangs, and the bit after, in order to clutter the thread.

--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
waitpid(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], WNOHANG) = 4607
waitpid(-1, 0xbfffee1c, WNOHANG)        = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [])
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x80731c0, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, {0x80731c0, [], 0}, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, NULL, [], 8)  = 0
read(255, "nnnnnif command -v deallocvt > /"..., 3194) = 76
open("/dev/null", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_LARGEFILE, 0666) = 3
fcntl64(1, F_GETFD)                     = 0
fcntl64(1, F_DUPFD, 10)                 = 10
fcntl64(10, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)        = 0
dup2(3, 1)                              = 1
close(3)                                = 0
fcntl64(2, F_GETFD)                     = 0
fcntl64(2, F_DUPFD, 10)                 = 11
fcntl64(2, F_GETFD)                     = 0
fcntl64(11, F_SETFD, FD_CLOEXEC)        = 0
dup2(1, 2)                              = 2
stat64(".", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0711, st_size=1448, ...}) = 0
stat64("/bin/deallocvt", 0xbffff110)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
stat64("/usr/bin/deallocvt", {st_mode=S_IFREG|0755, st_size=5164, ...}) = 0
fstat64(1, {st_mode=S_IFCHR|0666, st_rdev=makedev(1, 3), ...}) = 0
ioctl(1, SNDCTL_TMR_TIMEBASE or TCGETS, 0xbffff0b0) = -1 ENOTTY (Inappropriate ioctl for device)
mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = 0xb7bf7000
write(1, "/usr/bin/deallocvtn", 19)    = 19
dup2(11, 2)                             = 2
fcntl64(11, F_GETFD)                    = 0x1 (flags FD_CLOEXEC)
close(11)                               = 0
dup2(10, 1)                             = 1
fcntl64(10, F_GETFD)                    = 0x1 (flags FD_CLOEXEC)
close(10)                               = 0
stat64(".", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0711, st_size=1448, ...}) = 0
stat64("/bin/deallocvt", 0xbffff170)    = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [INT CHLD], [], 8) = 0
_llseek(255, -7, [3187], SEEK_CUR)      = 0
clone(child_stack=0, flags=CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID|CLONE_CHILD_SETTID|SIGCHLD, child_tidptr=0xb7e3c708) = 4608
waitpid(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], WNOHANG) = 4608
waitpid(-1,

Right there, nothing happens for 5-6 minutes. After that KDE started and this is the rest of the log file (including the last three lines of the above block)

waitpid(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], WNOHANG) = 4608
waitpid(-1, 0xbfffee1c, WNOHANG)        = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
sigreturn()                             = ? (mask now [])
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {0x80731c0, [], 0}, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {SIG_DFL}, {0x80731c0, [], 0}, 8) = 0
read(255, "nnnnnnn", 3194)       = 7
read(255, "", 3194)                     = 0
munmap(0xb7bf7000, 4096)                = 0
exit_group(0)                           = ?

I don't get any of this. But perhaps someone else can figure something out from the log.

EDIT: The more I google for this, the clearer it becomes that this is some sort of a host-problem. But as my posts above show, I have all the conf-files that I know of set correctly. Are there any relevant configs that I've missed? Is there anything really obvious that I just have missed for some reason??

#21 2005-06-09 12:25:22

soloport

Doubt this will help, but I've given up on my graphics card: AGP, nVidia Geforce FX 5200, 128MB DDR (maker is EVGA).

When I enable Option "nvidia", I see the nVidia logo/splash screen, then the Arch login GUI.

When I log into KDE it gets about half way through the initialization process and X freezes, solid (haven't tried - nor installed - Gnome).  The mouse moves, fine.  The Ctrl-Alt-F1 won't switch to a console.  The keyboard won't even respond to Caps Lock, etc.

If I ssh in from another PC, I can kill KDE, kill X, kill anything and the screen stays frozen!

When I switch to Option "nv", everything works just peachy -- for many days, now.

Real frustrating to not have graphics acceleration.

#22 2005-06-09 12:46:07

nightfrost

Maybe you should try an older version of the nvidia binary driver.

The problem here is not that though, X runs fine, as does xfce4 and (just tried this one) windowmaker. It's just gnome and KDE.

But I think I'm about to give up any minute now...I can't help that I sort of regret I ever started using Arch. If I hadn't, I could have been running gentoo, or ubuntu, or some other distro right now. But i know I won't stand any of those distros now.

I find it so weird though; not even a fresh installation solves the problem. Something must have changed in the repos that causes this quite recently. I mean, i haven't had this problem always. And I only install the base-group first. And then, after the first boot, I install xorg and KDE (or xorg and gnome).

#23 2005-06-09 13:41:09

nightfrost

In the last moment of defeat I think I have found the problem!

However, the answer is still escaping me, so I really hope this is gonna make things clear for those who know, so they can help me out.

Turning off network and/or ifplugd from the boot daemons gets rid off the problem, and I can start KDE. But as soon as I run /etc/rc.d/network or ifplugd, or even dhcpcd eth0, I ave the problem back, meaning I can't start anything without it taking all day.
This might be of interest:
/etc/conf.d/dhcpcd

#
# Arguments to be passed to the DHCP client daemon
#

DHCPCD_ARGS="-t 30 -h $HOSTNAME"

/etc/dhcp/dhcpcd-eth0.info

IPADDR=212.181.119.169
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=212.181.119.0
BROADCAST=212.181.119.255
GATEWAY=212.181.119.254
DOMAIN='ip-pluggen.com'
DNS=195.67.199.39
DHCPSID=192.168.205.30
DHCPGIADDR=0.0.0.0
DHCPSIADDR=212.181.119.254
DHCPCHADDR=00:0B:5D:83:20:56
DHCPSHADDR=00:E0:63:91:23:DA
DHCPSNAME=''
LEASETIME=3600
RENEWALTIME=1800
REBINDTIME=3150
INTERFACE='eth0'
CLASSID='Linux 2.6.11-morph10 i686'
CLIENTID=00:0B:5D:83:20:56

I will be endlessly greatful for any help!

#24 2005-06-09 14:08:28

nightfrost

These last days have been a bloddy hell for speaking out loud. But I think I finally found the problem and the solution for it. Thanks a lot for the inputs on this thread, and I'm sorry I've been cluttering it with post after post. OK, I changed

#
#

DHCPCD_ARGS="-t 30 -h $HOSTNAME" 

to

#
#

DHCPCD_ARGS="-t 30" 

Now, why does that fix my problem and why is it there as a default? And finally, has it always been the default (I'm asking since I've never had this problem before)?

Thanks again.

#25 2005-06-09 14:30:32

nightfrost

Alright, I was too fast. I'm unbelievably frustrated right now. That change just worked once. I was wrong with the solution, but I think I'm somewhat right with the problem still. As long as eth0 is down everything works just fine.. help?

Board footer