You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-02 16:38:13

PWheelsner

Gnome 3.2 gnome-documents & tracker desktop search [SOLVED]

Sorry to add to the flurry of gnome 3.2 issues, however I'd like to see whether anyone else if having problems with gnome-documents and tracker desktop search before I potentially make a fool of myself reporting issues upstream when they're down to me missing something obvious.

I initally noticed gnome-documents only seemed to list my google apps documents; no local ones were present (although it does populate my local list with these google doc files).  Looking through the gnome mailing lists it appears that there was signifcant discussion about tracker resource usage/ scanning of removeable media and recursive scanning especially with respect to its effect on Fedora 16 - numerous suggestions for patches were made. I also note that tracker is a requirement for gnome-documents. Firing up tracker I noticed that it refused to index any files not direrecly in $HOME, and despite ensuring it was set to catalog my home directory recursively I have been unable to persuade it to do so.  Sure enough, if I place documents directly in the root of my home directory they appear in both tracker and google-documents as expected.

As far as I can tell then, google-documents is not showing my local files in any subfolders because tracker (despite ensuring that it was configured to do so, as far as I can tell) refuses to catalog these directories. Have I missed something? Does this work as expected for anyone else?

SHORT VERSION: Just realised the above was a little verbose. Bascially, I can't persuade tracker to automaticaly recurisvely scan my home directory so local documents are not appearing for me in gnome-documents, is this an upstream bug or am I being stupid/ have I misconfigured?

Last edited by PWheelsner (2011-10-02 16:49:38)

#2 2011-10-02 16:52:35

PWheelsner

Re: Gnome 3.2 gnome-documents & tracker desktop search [SOLVED]

Ok. Have solved, and will post solution here just in case anyone else has the same problem.

Looks like installing gnome 3.2 on a fresh install didn't set my xdg-user-dirs correctly and so tracker wasn't scanning them (there was an entry to explicitely recursively scan my home directory anyway - so I suppose this may be a bug in and of itself).

However, running

xdg-user-dirs-update

followed by

tracker-control -rs (to clear the database and redo the inital crawl)

has worked.

Tracker now finds all my local files, and documents appear appropriately in gnome-documents.

Last edited by PWheelsner (2011-10-02 16:52:59)

#3 2011-10-02 21:17:19

jarodlau
Website

thanks your solutions, i have the same problem

#4 2011-10-03 21:26:51

PWheelsner

Hope the above helped.

Definately still working for me.

#5 2011-10-04 09:16:04

Agamemnon

It works here too! Thanks!

Pc: Intel core i7, 8Gb RAM, Archlinux 64bits, Gnome 3
Laptop 1: Intel Core2Duo, 4Gb RAM, Archlinux 64bits, Gnome 3
Laptop 2: Intel P4 HT, 512Mb RAM, Archlinux 32 bits, Gnome 3 too

#6 2011-10-05 03:06:23

mmf1902

¿Does someone is having high cpu usage (100%) with lots of process named 'gd-tracker-gdata-miner'?

#7 2011-10-05 16:45:21

PWheelsner

No excessive usage here (though my home dir isn't that full).  I understand some have had issues with tracker in gnome 3.2 (at least on the current Fedora 16 pre-releases where tracker is now installed by default) - google comes up with multiple htreads on the issue - ?could be of help.

Board footer