You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-03 08:59:57

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

What mail client do you use?

I have been using mozilla-thunderbird, and it is starting to royally piss me off. Slowness, rendering issues with headers, and certain issues with certificates, are all giving me fits.

I might take a look at sylpheed (or sylpheed-claws). Or maybe pine or mutt..
KMail is right out, since I am gnoming it right now, and I am not going to install all of kde for one mail app..
so...

What do you archers use?

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#2 2005-06-03 09:19:50

jerem

Re: What mail client do you use?

Evolution is a very complete solution, though one could find it bloated.

I'm  testing sylpheed but have no opinion about it yet.

Thunderbird takes hours to load, as does Firefox.

Mutt is console-based so you will not be able to read html mail.

#3 2005-06-03 09:25:09

iphitus
Forum Fellow

Thunderbirds is what im using

but mutt is also configured wink

#4 2005-06-03 09:42:28

lucke

You could also check out balsa. Not that I've used it, but it seems to be a pretty robust gnomish mail client.

#5 2005-06-03 10:27:06

CyberTron
Website

I am using Thunderbird, and I like it, except that it , despite my efforts, are blocking all images in html mails...
but now I am trying sylpheed-claws...seems to be working great and fast!!

http://www.linuxportalen.com  -> Linux Help portal for Linux and ArchLinux (in swedish)

Dell Inspiron 8500
Kernel 2.6.14-archck1  (selfcompiled)
Enlightenment 17

#6 2005-06-03 12:36:20

arooaroo
Website

I've always found that Kmail has fit my needs well. I was surprised at how awkward it can be to setup multiple accounts coming into a single inbox in some of the others I've tried. Kmail was one of the first clients that I saw that allowed easy integration of anti-spam and anti-virus software. I love the fact that when you type 'attach' or 'attached' in an email when nothing's been attached, it'll pop up a message when you try and send. Nice. KMail sits in the system tray and discretely notifies me when new messages arrive. Decent filtering system too, to help you automatically organise your messages. Allows you to view threads too, etc, etc. Pretty complete in my mind, and since it's come with KDE - which is my WM anyway - I may aswell use it smile

#7 2005-06-03 13:03:41

soloport

Use Thunderbird.  It gives me grief with my IMAP accounts, daily.  But I put up with it.

I used to use KMail when it was just an infant (before it had IMAP support -- does it now have IMAP support?  big_smile )

Have been thinking about moving back to KMail, for some time.  Maybe even trade in Firefox for Konqueror.  I don't know if that would work, either -- not ready for too much change, these days.

#8 2005-06-03 13:34:06

arooaroo
Website

soloport wrote:

I used to use KMail when it was just an infant (before it had IMAP support -- does it now have IMAP support?  big_smile )

Oh yeah. IMAP has been supported for ages.

#9 2005-06-03 14:11:54

kipper

Personally, I love mutt and that's what I've been using for years.  But if you want something a little more gui orientated, I think sylpheed-claws might do the trick.

#10 2005-06-03 14:14:54

Mr Green
Forum Fellow
Website

I like just changed over to Thunderbird from mozilla-mail .... I guess eye candy comes at a price wink

Mr Green

#11 2005-06-03 14:15:26

medicated

Eerrmm..I use novell groupwise(multiplatform).  Thats how cool I am.

#12 2005-06-03 14:32:15

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

#13 2005-06-03 14:56:02

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

I use gmail too - it's great and does the whole shebang.
I love the message threading too (it highlights and removes quoted messages)

#14 2005-06-03 15:33:51

Sader

Sylpheed !!!

Switched from Thunderbird....

#15 2005-06-03 17:50:33

codergeek42
Website

Right now I use Thunderbird (an IMAP/SSL account and a POP3/SSL gmail account). I'm going to try Evolution this weekend just for kicks though.

~Peter~

#16 2005-06-03 18:55:38

viniosity
Website

Wow -- I've gone around and around on this one for a long time.  My favorite mail client of all time had to be Eudora for macintosh.  It's different than just about every other client out there because it doesn't force everything to be in one giant window.  It seems like every linux mail client falls into the same single giant window paradigm which makes swtiching between them an exercise in disappointment.  At least in my opinion.

I've tried all of the clients mentioned in this thread at some point but have ended up back with Thunderbird for a few reasons:

1. Lets you change the from in your email on the fly. (most times I use my real name but sometimes I craft a generic email from 'sales@'

2. Lets you move emails directly to a mailbox from the menu.  No need to drag the email to a folder. You can just click copy to or move to and select your folder from the drop down.

3. Keeps local folders semi-out of the way.  They're still there but less in your face than in other clients.  Since I'm only using IMAP I have no need for local folders at all.

4. Sorts by thread, and by date range (today, yesterday, last week)

There are other reasons why I like thunderbird, but they mostly things that you find in all mail clients.  Still, what I wouldn't give to have a Eudora type client for linux. *drool*  There's been noise about it on the Eudora forum but nothing serious.

I agree with the other posts about the lacking parts of thunderbird and wish they'd be addressed.  I can't program my way out of a paper bag otherwise I'd consider forking this one and putting a different UI on it.

#17 2005-06-03 19:54:52

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Oh shoot, should I not mention EnsmerMail?

Hehe. I'm going to have a truly useable release someday. smile

#18 2005-06-03 23:04:17

ozar

Back in my "KDE-user" days, I really liked kmail better than any other client out there but I no longer install KDE (or Gnome), so I use Thunderbird and it's been working pretty well, so far.

oz

#19 2005-06-04 03:50:28

Stinky

I just switched to Thunderbird but it kinda pisses me off.  Takes weeks to load and after it fetches mail, it sort of locks up for about 20 seconds so I can't read anything.  AFter the 20 seconds or so, it's pretty responsive.  Thinking about trying Sylpheed-claws.

#20 2005-06-04 03:57:40

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

sylpheed and sylpheed-claws both use gtk1.0. I am trying sylpheed-dev (uses gtk2) and it is much better looking.

I will also give mutt a shot, but first I have to configure fetchmail/procmail, and maybe nbsmtp or msmtp..maybe nullmailer..dunno

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#21 2005-06-04 03:59:42

sud_crow
Website

I wanted to set up separated inboxes in Evolution but i didnt managed to do it (but i didnt try to hard, so i actually could ask right now if someone can send me a pm about it smile)

I like evolution coz the calendar features, but its a bit heavy like thunderbird.

Leonardo Andrés Gallego
www.archlinux-es.org || Comunidad Hispana de Arch Linux

#22 2005-06-04 04:51:36

medicated

EnsmerMail?  Do you have a project site set up?

#23 2005-06-04 11:01:06

citral

sylpheed-claws with the gtk2 dev branch is the bomb. Very stable already, looks sleek and is still very responsive. I tried Thunderbird once, but the slow CPU hogging interface is a real killer.

One of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that, lacking zero,
they had no way to indicate successful termination of their C programs.

#24 2005-06-04 11:47:32

neri
Forum Fellow

cactus wrote:

sylpheed and sylpheed-claws both use gtk1.0. I am trying sylpheed-dev (uses gtk2) and it is much better looking.

citral wrote:

sylpheed-claws with the gtk2 dev branch is the bomb. Very stable already, looks sleek and is still very responsive. I tried Thunderbird once, but the slow CPU hogging interface is a real killer.

Sylpheed-claws gtk2 had a serious flaw in the spellchecker, which made it
absolutely unuseable(once you had invoked it you couldn't type anymore).
As of 1.9.11 this is fixed and I put sylpheed-claws to testing including a
gpgme03 which can live side by side with gpgme. I'm not too happy with it
but we will see how this work out.

cactus wrote:

I will also give mutt a shot, but first I have to configure fetchmail/procmail, and maybe nbsmtp or msmtp..maybe nullmailer..dunno

I'm not so happy with procmail, the syntax is really ugly. I checked
maildrop (which comes with courier-mta, I wanna seperate that) and like it
way more. muttng really rocks btw. The fetchmail/maildrop setup is easy
btw. smile
Oh and once I make maildrop available seperately I prolly use esmtp as
forwarder. I really like it.

-neri

#25 2005-06-04 18:05:39

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

oooh. sounds neat. if you could let me know what progress you make in this direction, I would be most appreciative. I am very interested in this type of setup these days.
big_smile

"tacos" -- Cactus' Law

Board footer