You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-05 08:39:47

spiralarrowz

[SOLVED]Could any one give me a list of your /etc?

I was using 'mc' to delete a file, but after that, accidentally I deleted something [i didn't even see what it was]

Thank you

Last edited by spiralarrowz (2011-11-18 01:52:30)

#2 2011-10-05 08:55:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [SOLVED]Could any one give me a list of your /etc?

spiralarrowz wrote:

I was using 'mc' to delete a file, but after that, accidentally I deleted something [i didn't even see what it was]

Thank you

The contents of /etc depends on what you have installed. Another user posting that up would not help you in the least.

Lacking backups (if you had some you probably would not have posted this) you could try re-installing all packages (or all packages which have files in /etc as shown by pacman -Ql). From how you've described the user error, its probably only one file, though?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-10-05 09:17:20

fast_rizwaan

sudo pacman -S `pacman -Ql|grep etc|cut -f1 -d ' '|sort -u`; # to install all packages with /etc in it.

#4 2011-10-05 10:21:31

falconindy
Developer
Website

fast_rizwaan wrote:
 sudo pacman -S `pacman -Ql|grep etc|cut -f1 -d ' '|sort -u`; # to install all packages with /etc in it.

...would pick up a lot of false positives (fetch, netconsole, getcap, setcap, etc).

pacman -Ql | awk '$2 ~ /^\/etc/ { p[$1]++ } END { for (a in p) print a }'

But don't use that either... Better to use pacman -Qkq (as root to avoid false positives on read denied) to figure out what package is missing files in /etc.

#5 2011-10-06 01:47:42

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

falconindy wrote:

Better to use pacman -Qkq (as root to avoid false positives on read denied) to figure out what package is missing files in /etc.

The master speaks smile. I had no idea that was even an option.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#6 2011-10-06 02:06:15

the sad clown

falconindy wrote:

Better to use pacman -Qkq (as root to avoid false positives on read denied) to figure out what package is missing files in /etc.

I didn't know about that either.  Just emailed it to myself for later review.  Thanks.

I laugh, yet the joke is on me

Board footer