You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-05 19:58:58

mandrzej

KDE4 panel problem

Often when I click the panel (for example, application launcher, or taskmanager) or I try add widget to panel,  freezes plasma-desktop. Then I can choose anything from the panel - it is entirely blocked. The same is the case when I click the right mouse button on the desktop and I want to add a "default panel".
It helps only if ctrl + esc, killing the plasma-desktop, and using alt + f2 to run the plasma-desktop again.
It is very annoying and prevents normal operation. How do I fix this?
My version of KDE: 4.7.1

Please help.

#2 2011-10-06 05:12:23

Archibald Tux

Re: KDE4 panel problem

KDE 4.7.2 update in pacman repository you should try -Syu first. wink

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won."   Linus Torvalds

#3 2011-10-06 05:48:19

toad
Website

1. what archibald tux wrote
2. try different settings in systemsettings - desktop effects - advanced
3. try different video drivers for your card
4. try fewer desktop effects

Last edited by toad (2011-10-06 05:49:33)

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#4 2011-10-06 17:49:39

Archibald Tux

I had to apply the first two items to my own laptop when I was running Fedora 15 KDE, I have had no issues running KDE with Arch, although I still use the second suggestion, just seems logical to me I guess. Also you could try the linux-ice 3.0.6-1 kernel found in the AUR here,  https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=51077  its what I have now on my SONY VAIO N130G and benchmarks the best of all I've tried so far. cool You'll get it, don't give up.

Few tips for getting smooth desktop effects in KDE 4

1) Disable blur effect in System settings>Desktop effects>All effects. (This one seems to cause the most problems for users)
2) System settings>Application appearance>Style>Fine tuning tab. Choose "High display resolution and low CPU"
3) System settings>Desktop effects>Advanced tab choose fastest Compositing type, most likely, XRender.
4) If your desktop effect are disabled on every reboot then you'll have to disable functionality checks. Go to System settings>Desktop effects>Advanced and check "disable functionality checks".

Last edited by Archibald Tux (2011-10-06 17:55:20)

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won."   Linus Torvalds

#5 2011-10-06 20:09:49

mandrzej

I discovered that the problem is not all widgets, but for example, digital clock. Not yet checked all, but every time I want to add a digital clock on the panel are such symptoms as described. Several others have already checked the do not cause the problem. Digital clock every time.

KDE upgraded and the whole system, locked the desktop effects. I used a different video card driver, I tried to XRender and opengl. And all the time is like the above problem with the digital clock widget. With many others do not but did not check everyone.

Kernell not keep up to date on the specified

#6 2011-10-09 02:19:24

Archibald Tux

Rt click digital clock and select Digital Clock Settings, select Time Zones. Time Zone should be set to UTC and Clock defaults to: Local
Click Apply then save if you have to change the settings then;
Rt click digital clock and select Adjust Date and Time, under the time zone tab select your local Time Zone and Apply that if you need to, click OK.
See this in Arch Wiki  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide#Set_Clock  and notice the Warning under set time about several known and unfixable bugs if you do not select UTC. I hope this will do it for you there mandrzej neutral
P.S. Don't forget to reboot!

Last edited by Archibald Tux (2011-10-09 02:25:19)

Board footer