You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-07 15:09:17

mythus
Website

[SOLVED] New Install of Gnome 3.2 doesn't feel like loading

Greetings,

Before making this post, I have spent the majority of the day trying to solve this issue. I have switched from nvidia drivers to nouvela (sp?) drivers, incase that was the issue. I have scoured google, arch-wiki, and the forums until my eyes have bled. I have dug through the xsession-errors log to search out any missing components that might be causing this... but to no avail. If anything, trying to run and try Gnome 3.2 has made me feel like a complete idiot, who has obviously learnt nothing after years of using linux. So, I come here hoping that some one can point me to the solution my brain cannot itself come up with.

Here the situation:
I have been running KDE4 for quite some time happily. I have ran Gnome 3 back in its beginning days succesfully as well, but that was an older, now dead, pc. Having seen some neat little things about the new Gnome 3.2, I got an itch to give it a try. So, I go and follow the Gnome article on the excellent arch wiki- installing both gnome and gnome extras, letting it grab everything, change from kdm to gdm, and reboot.

Well, it gives me the old gdm I remember from the early gnome 3 days (wasn't this changed) despite it showing that it is GDM 3.2 via pacman. It shows my user name, lets me put my password, and shows the stripped background. One thing to note is that the cursor remains a clock face, never changing to a pointer.

I log in, choosing GNOME, all that remains is the wallpaper, with the clockface cursor, no pointer. I go take the kids to the bus stop, come back apx. 20 min. later, no change.

Ok, bug crushing time right? So I go through the steps. I make sure that gnome shell is indeed installed. I remove any config files (there weren't any), remove gnome shell, reinstall. No go. I rinse and repeat, but removing & reinstalling different things, such as GDM, and even gnome completely. No go.

Hopping into pekwm, I search. I make copies of the xsession-errors each time, and load them in pekwm after a reboot, looking through with pacman by myside to make sure I have any possible missing files. And finally after failure after failure I give up, and come here.

So, here's my xsession-errors log. Please, if anyone can help, or even offer any kind of suggestion that might spark something in my brain to get me going in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it. If this thread needs moved, merged, etc, please do so... I've searched the forums, but now my brain is numb, so yeah...

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
gnome-session[1112]: EggSMClient-WARNING: Desktop file '/home/mythus/.config/autostart/dropbox.desktop' has malformed Icon key 'dropbox.png'(should not include extension)

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Cannot load plugin 'Color' since file '/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/libcolor.so' cannot be read.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Error activating plugin 'Color'

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Cannot load plugin 'Power' since file '/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/libpower.so' cannot be read.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Error activating plugin 'Power'
GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-HPDXfX
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/keyring-HPDXfX/gpg:0:1
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-HPDXfX/ssh

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Cannot load plugin 'Media keys' since file '/usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon-3.0/libmedia-keys.so' cannot be read.

** (gnome-settings-daemon:1138): WARNING **: Error activating plugin 'Media keys'
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 4: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 5: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 6: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 7: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 8: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 9: yes
common-plugin-Message: checking whether we have a device for 10: yes
/usr/bin/gnome-shell: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
gnome-session[1112]: WARNING: Failed to start app: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "if" (No such file or directory)
Initializing tracker-store...
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mythus/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
Initializing tracker-miner-fs...
/usr/lib/evolution/3.2/evolution-alarm-notify: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mythus/.config/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.cfg'
/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Starting log:
  File:'/home/mythus/.local/share/tracker/tracker-miner-fs.log'
/usr/bin/pulseaudio: error while loading shared libraries: libltdl.so.7: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Tracker-Message: Setting up monitor for changes to config file:'/home/mythus/.config/tracker/tracker-store.cfg'
Starting log:
  File:'/home/mythus/.local/share/tracker/tracker-store.log'

(nm-applet:1180): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy

** (nm-applet:1180): WARNING **: get_all_cb: couldn't retrieve system settings properties: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1.

** (nm-applet:1180): WARNING **: fetch_connections_done: error fetching connections: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1.

** (nm-applet:1180): WARNING **: Failed to register as an agent: (25) Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1
/usr/lib/libgvfscommon.so.0: undefined symbol: g_free
Failed to load module: /usr/lib/gio/modules/libgvfsdbus.so

Last edited by mythus (2011-10-07 15:36:43)

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#2 2011-10-07 15:36:21

mythus
Website

Re: [SOLVED] New Install of Gnome 3.2 doesn't feel like loading

Ok, I guess all it took was for me to post this to wake up and be able to solve the issue.

It is simple really. I just needed to re-install libltdl.

So, for those searching, if you get this similar problem,

pacman -S libltdl

is what solved it for me.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#3 2012-05-26 21:50:37

Nisk

Re: [SOLVED] New Install of Gnome 3.2 doesn't feel like loading

Thank you, you beautiful man! Exact same problem, exact same fix.

Board footer