You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-08 04:46:43

wazow

Gnome-settings-daemon broken after upgrade to Gnome 3.2

I have experienced a serious Gnome degradation with the recent upgrade to gnome 3.2. Basically the gnome-session-daemon is not started, no themes work, fonts are ugly, no wall paper, etc.  I did investigated a bit, and here are my findings.

Pacman installs gnome-settings-daemon in /usr/lib/gnome-settings-daemon/gnome-settings-daemon , but my session (gnome-session-properties tool) says that it searches for it in /usr/bin/gnome-settings-daemon .

So has this moved ? Is this a package error that session is not updated? Or is there some error that there is no symlink from /usr/bin ? Why would that happen ?

Also there seems to be no entry for "Startup Applications Preferences" in Gnome menus any more.  Is this normal ? I have to run gnome-session-properties manually from a terminal. Are gnome developers sending a message to us that we should not change startup applications this way. Should I  erase whatever session info is stored in home directory to revert to vanilla Gnome 3.2 setup, and find other ways of autostarting stuff ? (as otherwise I will continuously be exposed to such trouble as with gnome-session daemon).

I hate hate hate things breaking smile

#2 2011-10-08 05:52:27

wonder
Developer
Website

Re: Gnome-settings-daemon broken after upgrade to Gnome 3.2

well if you modified the session it tries to load it from .config/autostart/

i moved the binaries from /usr/bin to /usr/lib/$pkgname not gnome developers. usually they are in /usr/libexec

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

#3 2011-10-08 10:05:57

wazow

wonder wrote:

well if you modified the session it tries to load it from .config/autostart/

i moved the binaries from /usr/bin to /usr/lib/$pkgname not gnome developers. usually they are in /usr/libexec

But does that mean that I should rm .config/autostart/ because as soon as I modify or add one app in there, standard gnome binaries will not go gently through upgrades ? (ie. it will break whenever some file is moved?)

And yes, I believe files do move. You already shown this time that you are capable of moving them smile and you even say that where they are now, is not the standard location either wink

#4 2011-10-08 10:50:19

wonder
Developer
Website

default the standard location is libexec, being /usr/libexec but our policy is to have libexecdir in /usr/lib/$pkgname. once /usr/libexec si accepted to the hierarchy expect to drop our policy

Give what you have. To someone, it may be better than you dare to think.

Board footer