You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-08 17:38:05

Rayniac

[SOLVED] /proc must be mounted! ...what? o.O

I just bumped into this strange error message while installing archlinux from a usb netinstall stick to my laptop for the third time. (why do for the third time you ask? well that's a whole other mystery itself, you see for some reason I could not start X anymore as anyone else but root... strange isn't it?)

Anyways, back to the topic: I now find myself unable to install archlinux to my laptop at all. The reason being that error message (in the topic) that shows itself after I've configured the system (rc.conf settings and all that jazz and setting up the root password) and select "done".

Already tried google to no avail. Also tried reinstalling the netinstall image to the usb stick again thinking that maybe data on it got corrupted or something when I took it off unsafely. Well that didn't help either.

What does this mean? What went wrong? Did I suddenly make a trivial mistake that I've never done before when installing archlinux? That doesn't sound very plausible to me...

Last edited by Rayniac (2011-10-08 20:56:32)

#2 2011-10-08 18:20:58

gshakhn

Re: [SOLVED] /proc must be mounted! ...what? o.O

I'm getting this as well. A few days ago, I installed Arch on a VirtualBox VM successfully. I had messed some stuff up with X, so I attempted to to a fresh reinstall today. During the package install process, the following appears in the logs:

installing linux...
>>> Updating module dependencies. Please wait ..
>>> Generating initial ramdisk, using mkinitcpio. Please wait...
/sbin/mkinitcpio: line 160: 2558 Segementation fault      mountpoint -q /p
==> ERROR: /proc must be mounted!

I didn't notice the error while installing packages the first time around and it displayed when I pressed done on the install. I tried the install a few more times, and noticed the error during installing packages then. The error line number is always 160, but I think the segmentation fault had a different number before.

When I go to a different console during the setup process, I can cd into /proc and see things in it.

I've tried both the rit.edu and gatech.edu mirrors, thinking it may have been a repo issue.

I'm using the ext4 filesystem if it matters.

Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Last edited by gshakhn (2011-10-08 18:36:21)

#3 2011-10-08 18:30:15

falconindy
Developer
Website

This is a bug in util-linux (mountpoing segfaulting), but it's found because I don't believe that AIF isn't mounting /proc inside the chroot where Arch is installed to. Now that mkinitcpio has proper support for building in a basedir, this really should be changed in AIF... in the meanwhile, I guess i'll be trying to hunt down the segfault in util-linux...

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/26344

Last edited by falconindy (2011-10-08 20:27:25)

#4 2011-10-08 20:31:19

Vitechy

I am receiving the same message as well.

STARTING mkinitcpio . Executing chroot /mnt /sbin/mkinitcpio -p linux >>/var/log/aif/mkinitcpio.log 2>&1\n
/sbin/mkinitcpio  line 160:       3379 Segmentation fault           mountpoint -q /proc
==> ERROR: /proc must be mounted!

I have tried the RTI as well as the arch linux mirrors.

#5 2011-10-08 20:50:40

Rayniac

Could it be possible to circumvent this problem by using the core iso instead of netinstall?

#6 2011-10-08 20:51:59

falconindy
Developer
Website

Or you can just run mkinitcpio yourself as mentioned in the bug report.

#7 2011-10-08 20:56:00

Rayniac

Oh right, just read that bug report. Thank you very much falconindy! smile I think this thread can now be marked as solved.

Board footer