You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-09 06:10:23

amm

[SOLVED] Boot fails after installation if no mkinitcpio "usb" hook...

Hello all:

I had this strange behaviour today, after installing ArchLinux x86-64.

The system failed to boot repeatedly, complaining about being unable to find and mount the root partition.

This was fixed by adding "usb" right after "udev" to HOOKS= in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and rebuilding initramfs, although the system is installed on a normal IDE hard-disk, and not on an USB drive.

I don't know if this is some kind of weird bug, or if I am missing something really obvious here, and this is perfectly fine and reasonable.

Just wanted to know why that strange (to me), behaviour.

Thanks.

Last edited by amm (2011-10-09 22:36:31)

#2 2011-10-09 15:51:38

falconindy
Developer
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Boot fails after installation if no mkinitcpio "usb" hook...

Did you try the fallback image? What else did you have in your HOOKS list? Can you list the contents of the initramfs image generated with and without the USB hook (you can use lsinitcpio for this)?

#3 2011-10-09 21:47:54

amm

Hey falconindy, I just tried to reproduce the error without luck. Rebuilt initramfs without usb hook and it boots fine. I even did a fresh reinstall like yesterday, and this time the error didn't came out.

One thing is true: yesterday the system failed to boot as much as 5 times after installation, until I added the usb hook and rebuilt initramfs.
Maybe rebuilding initramfs did the trick, although this time it worked flawlessly.

I think I should delete this thread, because it is misleading.

Anyway, thank you for your time, and more importantly, sorry to waste your time.

Cheers,

amm.

#4 2011-10-09 21:59:29

karol
Archivist

amm wrote:

I think I should delete this thread, because it is misleading.

I think marking it as solved is enough. User errors happen.

Board footer