You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-13 08:16:03

sebcactus

How to deal with conflicting packages which should not conflict?

Hi there smile

I made a PKGBUILD for sp-tk (speek toolkit).
It provides LOTS of binaries.
Of course the name of one of them is conflicting with a binary of another package (boost)
I thought of two options:
1. installing it in /opt instead of /usr (rather simple): but there may be conflicts with other packages (not that I am aware of)
2. putting the binaries in its own repository (e.g. /usr/share/sptk/bin or /opt/sptk/bin) and adding a profile.d/sptk.sh script to include the binary locations in the path.

What would be the best approach? (Any other good suggestion accepted)
Thanks,
Seb

#2 2011-10-13 09:09:04

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: How to deal with conflicting packages which should not conflict?

/opt is best, and if you put everything under /opt/sp-tk there will be no conflict. I recall seeing when I first started packaging, though, that AUR packages should not put anything in /opt for FHS reasons (some of my own packages were threatened with deletion because of that).

Is this program open-source or binary-release?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2011-10-13 09:48:53

sebcactus

Thank you!
It is open source, under some BSD license.

So if I put everything under /opt/sp-tk  it will create the corresponding bin,lib,include dirs.
I have now other questions big_smile
- It is not an every day software: those are speech processing tools, so I don't have to create a profile.d/sptk.sh to get access to the binaries, do I?
- Is the license still under /usr/share/licenses/sptk/ ?

#4 2011-10-14 02:51:13

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

You could also just rename the binary that conflict.

#5 2011-10-14 07:49:56

sebcactus

Well it is not convenient. These are tools, which are usually used by other software/scripts. So changing the name of the binary would impact all the scripts based on it hmm

#6 2011-10-14 09:34:41

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

sebcactus wrote:

Well it is not convenient. These are tools, which are usually used by other software/scripts. So changing the name of the binary would impact all the scripts based on it hmm

In that case, you'll need profile.d/sptk.sh to update the PATH variable otherwise the software/scripts won't find the sptk tools unless they specify the correct full path.

And the license still goes in /usr/share/licenses/sptk/ (assuming sptk is the pkgname)

#7 2011-10-17 09:25:25

sebcactus

Board footer