You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-13 18:39:01

David Batson

Arch Linux Installation Framework will not properly format partition

FTR,

I was using the modify partition option from the Installation CD.  I chose to format the existing partition EXT4 with journaling.  I used the following command in mkfs.ext4: -j -O dir_index

After using the above, fdisk -l reports the partition formatted as FAT16.  I also tried using the command from the CLI from the installation CD: mkfs.ext4 -j -O dir_index /dev/sda7 with the same result.

In the end, I formatted the partition using Mageia's diskdrake in MCC.  This was successful.

#2 2011-10-13 18:54:38

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Arch Linux Installation Framework will not properly format partition

David Batson wrote:

FTR,

I was using the modify partition option from the Installation CD.  I chose to format the existing partition EXT4 with journaling.  I used the following command in mkfs.ext4: -j -O dir_index

After using the above, fdisk -l reports the partition formatted as FAT16.  I also tried using the command from the CLI from the installation CD: mkfs.ext4 -j -O dir_index /dev/sda7 with the same result.

In the end, I formatted the partition using Mageia's diskdrake in MCC.  This was successful.

You are somewhat confused.

fdisk does not handle filesystem types at all, it just sees what the partion type is set to, which may or may not give any indication at all about what filesystem is on the partion. In your case the partion was probably set to type 6 or something.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2011-10-13 18:55:10)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2011-10-13 19:03:27

David Batson

You are probably correct about me being confused.  ;=)

The problem was that I could not install GRUB from the Installation CD until I reformated the partition using Mageia.  Also, after I reformatted it using Mageia, fdisk -l from the Installation CD showed that the partition was now | ID: 83 | System: Linux | instead of FAT16.

#4 2011-10-14 01:32:53

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Could just as well have changed the partition type with fdisk.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

Board footer