You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-15 18:27:51

Demon

[solved] How to install Arch from live TinyCore Linux session

Hi folks! Here's the problem I have:

an ancient Gericom Webboy laptop (PIII 512 MB RAM and Toshiba 30GB HDD) is having problems with squashfs! Any Live Linux CD which uses squashFS (including Arch install CD) fails to load properly, so I cannot get into console, let alone install anything. However, live linux distros like Knoppix and TinyCore can boot and init 3 or 5 successfully (they don't use squashFS).
So, here's what's on my mind: I have Archbang on USB (doesn't matter, I can put ArchLinux's ISO on USB, whatever), and I have booted the TinyCore Linux from live CD. Now, how can I start installation from the mentioned USB?

This is very urgent, so any help is much appreciated. smile

Edit: Got it here, hope I could make it work. Still wanna hear any advice you could have...

Last edited by Demon (2011-10-16 00:04:52)

#2 2011-10-15 21:07:45

keenerd
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

Re: [solved] How to install Arch from live TinyCore Linux session

It might be simpler to swap the hard drive into another computer and do the core install there.  Swap the drive back afterwards and avoid all the problems.

That said, it is very strange that there are problems at all.

#3 2011-10-16 00:07:17

Demon

Re: [solved] How to install Arch from live TinyCore Linux session

It is simpler, but I think hard drive is the problem. And, I don't have possibility to connect it to another computer.

Anyway, I've managed to install Arch using the instructions from wiki. Arch's best, and also it is good to have TinyCore in a reach. smile

Board footer