You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-17 00:06:37

Velshtein

Unable to get MS fonts installed

Bear with me, absolutely new to Linux (I like learning from the ground up - humor me). I've managed to get up and running into a GNOME3 desktop environment and install some basic packages. The primary issue that I'm having at the moment is installing Microsoft fonts.

1. I've pulled the fonts off of a win7 disk that I had floating around - no licensing issues. I copied them to my /usr/share/fonts/TTF directory (after changing permissions - another learning process).

2. Installed yaourt and fontconfig. Both went in successfully.

3. First question: When installing something via yaourt, I'm greeting with the following:

"Enter n° of packages to be installed (ex: 1 2 3 or 1-3)"

I always select 1, but I have no idea what it means. I thought I was only installing 1 package? And I assume the odd symbol stands for "number".

4. On attempting to install ttf-win7-fonts via yaourt, I'm greeted with:

"==> ERROR: arial.ttf was not found in the build directory and is not a URL.
==> ERROR: Makepkg was unable to build ttf-win7-fonts."

I double-checked the /usr/share/fonts/TTF directory and the arial.ttf files is indeed there. Did I dump everything in the wrong directory?

Again, sorry if I missed some formatting etiquette - I'm brand new to linux and bash in their entirety, so please forgive me.

#2 2011-10-17 00:10:44

oboedad55

Re: Unable to get MS fonts installed

You can get MS fonts from the AUR, Vista fonts as well.

Registered Linux user #436067

#3 2011-10-17 00:21:28

Velshtein

I just ran a yaourt ttf-ms-fonts and let it do its thing, but I'm still getting the same error with ttf-win7-fonts.

#4 2011-10-17 00:27:36

karol
Archivist

Velshtein wrote:

I just ran a yaourt ttf-ms-fonts and let it do its thing, but I'm still getting the same error with ttf-win7-fonts.

Read the PKGBUILD.

#5 2011-10-17 00:33:28

oboedad55

In Gnome 3 if I just click on a font the font manager opens and offers to install it.
http://askubuntu.com/questions/55688/is … 10-gnome-3

Last edited by oboedad55 (2011-10-17 00:34:57)

Registered Linux user #436067

#6 2011-10-17 02:54:28

Velshtein

karol wrote:
Velshtein wrote:

Read the PKGBUILD.

Did. It says to put the fonts in with the pkgbuild file before running makepkg. It doesn't specify the file's location so I tried running makepkg. I received a "ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist." for my trouble. Again, I'm about as new as it gets. Maybe I put the fonts in the wrong directory? Be gentle.

#7 2011-10-17 02:55:52

igndenok

If you're the only user, I suggest place them in ~/.fonts
After that run this command

$ fc-cache -fv

If you place them in /usr/share/fonts, run that command as root (or using sudo)

Ask, and it shall be given you.
Seek, and ye shall find.
Knock, and it shall be opened unto you.

#8 2011-10-17 03:03:59

karol
Archivist

Velshtein wrote:
karol wrote:
Velshtein wrote:

Read the PKGBUILD.

Did. It says to put the fonts in with the pkgbuild file before running makepkg. It doesn't specify the file's location so I tried running makepkg. I received a "ERROR: PKGBUILD does not exist." for my trouble. Again, I'm about as new as it gets. Maybe I put the fonts in the wrong directory? Be gentle.

# BUILD INSTRUCTIONS:
# ----------------------
# This package is intended as a more up-to-date replacement for the AUR
# 'ttf-ms-fonts' and 'ttf-vista-fonts' packages. It provides newer versions of
# the fonts in these packages, but due to license issues cannot automatically
# download the fonts.
#
# Instead, you must acquire them from a Windows 7 system or install media:
#  - Running Windows 7 system: fonts are located in C:\Windows\Fonts
#  - Windows 7 install media: fonts are located in sources/install.wim, which
#    is a "Windows Imaging Format" archive. This archive can be extracted with
#    7-zip (p7zip package): "7z x install.wim 1/Windows/Fonts"
#    Alternatively, you can use GNOME's File Roller (and maybe other archive
#    managers) to extract the files if the p7zip package is installed.

You need to copy them from your Windows installation or disc. This is where the files are located.

#9 2011-10-17 03:42:16

Velshtein

karol wrote:

You need to copy them from your Windows installation or disc. This is where the files are located.

Aware. That's why I mentioned it in the OP. Here:

Velshtein wrote:

1. I've pulled the fonts off of a win7 disk that I had floating around - no licensing issues. I copied them to my /usr/share/fonts/TTF directory (after changing permissions - another learning process).

igndenok's suggestion worked - I now have what seems to be most of the Windows fonts installed, but I'm still curious as to why I'm getting the error regarding arial.ttf with the ttf-win7-fonts package. I don't like not knowing things.

Last edited by Velshtein (2011-10-17 03:42:38)

#10 2011-10-17 03:54:31

karol
Archivist

Ah, I thought you were asking about the arial.ttf's location. It may not be a problem with arial.ttf per se - it's simply the first file that's missing, not necessarily the only one.
Generally you put the source file(s) in the same directory as the PKGBUILD and run makepkg. The PGKBUILD has instructions what to do with the files.

#11 2011-10-17 04:11:41

Velshtein

A reasonable expectation, but nowhere does it say where PKGBUILD is located. Hence my utter confusion.

#12 2011-10-17 08:23:41

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

Velshtein wrote:

I copied them to my /usr/share/fonts/TTF directory (after changing permissions - another learning process).

That's your problem.  They need to go into the same dir as the PKGBUILD.  This can be anywhere.  The makepkg script will take it from there.  After the pkg is created, you may safely delete both the PKGBUILD and all the source fonts.  Try it smile  Having a package is better because the fonts are available system-wide to all users and if you every want to get rid of them, pacman will do it for you cleanly.  Welcome to Arch, btw!

Last edited by graysky (2011-10-17 08:25:57)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#13 2011-10-17 08:59:21

Velshtein

graysky wrote:

That's your problem.  They need to go into the same dir as the PKGBUILD.  This can be anywhere.  The makepkg script will take it from there.  After the pkg is created, you may safely delete both the PKGBUILD and all the source fonts.  Try it smile  Having a package is better because the fonts are available system-wide to all users and if you every want to get rid of them, pacman will do it for you cleanly.  Welcome to Arch, btw!

I would love to, but I don't know where PKGBUILD is located? And thank you for the welcome!

#14 2011-10-17 09:51:34

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Velshtein wrote:
graysky wrote:

I would love to, but I don't know where PKGBUILD is located? And thank you for the welcome!

Use the wiki, please. There's even a page on pkgbuilds.....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#15 2011-10-17 12:03:38

karol
Archivist

As graysky already wrote, you should install packages using pacman so via PKGBUILDs and not just copy things over.
Go to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=50762 and find the PKGBUILD
Found it? Yes, it's here: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/tt/t … s/PKGBUILD Now save it somewhere on your hard disk and copy the source files over there too. Run makepkg.

#16 2011-10-17 16:28:26

fast_rizwaan

mkdir  -p ~/.fonts
cp *.ttf ~/.fonts/
fc-cache -v

#17 2011-10-17 20:20:28

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

@fast_r - that's not helping the OP learn how to manage packages.

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#18 2011-10-18 09:16:49

Velshtein

graysky wrote:

@fast_r - that's not helping the OP learn how to manage packages.

Sorry, I'm learning sad

In regards to his post though, I understood 2/3ds of it. First like makes a new directory in my /home/user directory called .fonts (meaning it's hidden I believe). The second line copies any .ttf file in the system? to the directory. Not sure what the last line does. Updates the font cache maybe?

And in regards to the moderator's post, I'm sorry. I'm just trying to feel things out. I read the wiki page, and I understand what a pkgbuild file is. What I don't understand is how I acquire one for the fonts listed. Do I have to write it myself? It seems like yaourt downloaded it, or at least made it available to view, but I don't know where it ended up. No directory was listed for me to peruse (it's not in the ~./.fonts directory)

Again, apologies. I'm sure this will all make perfect sense in time, but for now I feel like an idiot.

Last edited by Velshtein (2011-10-18 09:19:47)

#19 2011-10-18 14:40:36

fsckd
Forum Fellow

The answers you seek are already in this thread and in this wiki article: Wiki: AUR

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#20 2017-02-01 11:40:09

nielsonrolim

I wrote this little tutorial for someone who reach this thread...

- Create a tamp directory ~/msfonts-install

- Go to the AUR package site:
https://aur.archlinux.org/pkgbase/ttf-ms-win10

- Download the PKGBUILD file and save it to ~/msfonts-install

- Copy your windows fonts and the licence.rtf file to ~/msfonts-install

This is where they are located accoring PKGBUILD:

# On the installed Windows 10 system fonts are usually located in
#       C:\Windows\Fonts
# and license file is
#       C:\Windows\System32\Licenses\neutral\_Default\Core\license.rtf

- Go to the ~/msfonts-install/ directory:

$ cd ~/msfonts-install

- Run:

$ makepkg -si

- Check if everything is alright, follow the instructions and be happy cool

#21 2017-02-01 11:45:22

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Thanks for sharing, but this is an old thread, and the use of makepkg is well documented on the wiki.

Closing.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

Board footer