You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-17 22:23:01

chimeracoder

[SOLVED] Ext2 to Ext3 conversion failed, now unable to boot

I tried converting most of my partitions from ext2 to ext3 recently. I believe I may have either forgotten to update the fstab or run mkinitcpio afterwards, because when I try to boot up my computer now, I get this error:

mount: mounting /dev/sdb3 on /new_root failed: No such device
ERROR: Failed to mount the real root device
Bailing out, you are on your own. Good luck.

sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

I'm left at a limited shell which doesn't let me do very much (no fsck, mkinitcpio, reboot, or even shutdown). Curiously, I can mount /dev/sdb3 to / or /new_root in this shell, but only if I specify the filetype as ext2.

I have a live USB with Gparted on it, but I'm not sure how to access my real fstab from it - when I try mounting /dev/sdb3 in Gparted, I end up with an fstab that's not the one that I've set up on my computer.

How do I fix my filesystems so that I can boot my computer?

Last edited by chimeracoder (2011-10-20 02:47:53)

#2 2011-10-18 06:10:31

toad
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Ext2 to Ext3 conversion failed, now unable to boot

Look for more fstabs then and try to make sense of gparted's device naming smile All you need is access to your /

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2011-10-20 02:47:40

chimeracoder

Re: [SOLVED] Ext2 to Ext3 conversion failed, now unable to boot

Thanks, toad! It turned out in the end that the fallback image was working properly, so I was able to boot into that. From there, I just re-ran mkinitcpio -p linux, and all was good.

For anybody else who has this problem, I also set GRUB to refer to my boot partition by UUID, though I don't think it was the problem, since my fallback kernel was working.

Board footer