You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-18 10:38:54

tyyk

[solved] asus 1215n, pm-suspend problem - acpi_call

Recently installed arch on my asus 1215n laptop. As mentioned here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_EEE_PC_1215n there is a problem when changing power-state when the ion-chip is turned off (specifically, suspend wont work properly, the computer hangs). So I tried what is suggested: putting the line SUSPEND_MODULES="acpi_call" in /etc/pm/config.d/modules. The problem is that even though the module is unloaded (even tried it with rmmod acpi_call - lsmod |grep acpi_call does not list it as loaded after this), the computer hangs. I can suspend the computer without problems with the acpi_call module loaded but before having run the script asus1215n.sh provided by acpi_call-git in AUR. It does not, however, suspend properly after having turned the chip off and then on again.

Im running the i686-version btw.

Have been googling for a few days for a solution but its been a while since I last ran linux so im really not sure if im looking for the correct things.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to continue? I realize i could just leave the ionchip turned on - but the heat and the batterydrain is rather annoying.

Last edited by tyyk (2011-10-19 20:34:09)

#2 2011-10-18 10:46:19

axel668

Re: [solved] asus 1215n, pm-suspend problem - acpi_call

think in Ubuntu bumblebee, which supports acpi_call, they turn the Nvidia GPU on right before suspending and off right after the wakeup, maybe you could somehow achieve this using acpid events

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#3 2011-10-18 10:49:36

aliasbody
Website

Yes you are right @axel668, the bumblebee (now ironhide), turn ON the Nvidia GPU before Suspend/Reboot/Shutdown, and it is the last thing to be activated in the boot process just after lightdm (Ubuntu 11.10).

I have the same laptop as you (I am not using Arch Linux for know because I have problems configuring my printer :S), and I can say that I never had any problem with acpi_call (I am using the X64 version of Arch Linux)... But I have to say that I never used it alone... always with bumblebee so maybe the bumblebee script do all the job, I dind't got the time to check that.

Can you tell me which version of the kernel are you using please ?

#4 2011-10-18 13:50:40

tyyk

I'm running the 3.0-ARCH kernel. Installed bumblebee which enables me to actually use the nvidia chip, still cannot turn it off though (It is more important for me to be able to turn it completely of than to actually use it). Followed the instructions https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bumblebee to get bumblebee running, and the instructions here: https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu … PI-Removed to get the power management running. Now i'm also having problem with the screen dimming after the computer being idle but not "un"dimming when used. Weird stuff.

#5 2011-10-18 18:24:49

aliasbody
Website

This is what you have to do in order to have bumblebee working with the switch on/off of the Optimus without any problems:
1 - Install Bumblebee (done so next)
2 - install via AUR the package "acpi_call-git" and do on the terminal "modprobe acpi_call" or "sudo modprobe acpi_call".
3 - Create 2 files like the wiki says in the folder /etc/bumblebee/. One called cardon and the other called cardoff (with no extension).
4 - In each file you will set the values to turn on and turn off the graphic card. But there is a mistake in the wiki (I will correct it today), they forgot to tell about the "\" before the code in each line (this information is on the bumblebee.conf file) so you will have something like this :

cardon :
\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.GFX0._PS0

cardoff :
\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.GFX0._DSM {0xF8,0xD8,0x86,0xA4,0xDA,0x0B,0x1B,0x47,0xA7,0x2B,0x60,0x42,0xA6,0xB5,0xBE,0xE0} 0x100 0x1A {0x1,0x0,0x0,0x3}
\_SB.PCI0.P0P4.GFX0._PS3

5 - On the bumblebee.conf file you will change this ENABLE_POWER_MANAGEMENT=N into this ENABLE_POWER_MANAGEMENT=Y.
And also this STOP_SERVICE_ON_EXIT=N to this STOP_SERVICE_ON_EXIT=Y.

Then you just have to restart the bumblebee service like this : "rc.d restart bumblebee" or "sudo rc.d restart bumblebee". And see if the power is turned off by using this command :

watch grep rate /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state

This command will show (by refreshing the results) the consumption of the battery in mA... just use optirun and look at the values... normally something like this will happen :

Doing Nothing :
present rate: 1000mA

Using Optirun (like "optirun firefox" for example)
present rate: 1700mA

Then stopin optirun (closing the application)
present rate: 1000mA

PS : in order to bumblebee to disable the nvidia on start and to prevent suspend and shutdown hangs just add "acpi_call" to the modules in your /etc/rc.conf file.

Hope that helps ^^
Glade to see someone else with the courage to use this laptop with linux... I hope I didn't have to use Ubuntu (it is extremely slow !... but that is another problem XD).

EDIT : I have to loose the habit to not read the entire post zs.... can you tell me what DE are you using ?... When I used Arch Linux I only tested this method with Gnome3 and Openbox (never with KDE and/or XFCE)...

Last edited by aliasbody (2011-10-18 18:26:57)

#6 2011-10-19 06:55:23

axel668

Hey, the missing backslash might explain why it's not working for me so far ... thanks man, going to try this tonight !

BTW, was successfully running Xubuntu 11.04 and Bodhi 1.2 with bumblebee support, basically anything based on Ubuntu 10.04 or higher should work (maybe even Puppy ?).
About courage, well, in my case it was rather good old plain stupidity ... thought a Netbook with Nvidia graphics would do fine with Linux, and only learned about the ION2 issues after purchase ... you can imagine my relief when I heard about bumblebee tongue

Last edited by axel668 (2011-10-19 06:56:13)

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#7 2011-10-19 20:23:27

aliasbody
Website

axel668 wrote:

Hey, the missing backslash might explain why it's not working for me so far ... thanks man, going to try this tonight !

BTW, was successfully running Xubuntu 11.04 and Bodhi 1.2 with bumblebee support, basically anything based on Ubuntu 10.04 or higher should work (maybe even Puppy ?).
About courage, well, in my case it was rather good old plain stupidity ... thought a Netbook with Nvidia graphics would do fine with Linux, and only learned about the ION2 issues after purchase ... you can imagine my relief when I heard about bumblebee tongue

I understand you because it was exactly what happens to me zs... I do not have lot of money (here in Portugal the economy isn't that great), and for once in a while I got the opportunity to buy a laptop only to run Linux (Arch Linux), so I choose a netbook (because of the weight) and I choose one with nvidia (so I could play games and watch HD movies)... not this time... There is no way I could buy another laptop now, I'll have to wait more 5 years and it is frustrating... and you know what's the more frustrating ?... The 1201N and the 1215B where the only ones not available, and those 2 are the only ones that have a powerful GPU (Switchable by BIOS Optimus ION for the 1201N and Ati Radeon for the second), so I didn't get the opportunity to buy them...

I hope something working well appears quickly... I'm tired not being able to use the HDMI and the Nvidia with Flash.. really

Let's wait for Wayland and see what will be done ^^

#8 2011-10-19 20:33:09

tyyk

It was the missing backslashes for me as well, thought i had tried it both with and without but turns out i had not. Thanks for the help guys!

Btw, do you have any problem with networkmanager/nm-applet? one of them seems to lock up my computer (to the point where i have to reboot). It happens when its trying to connect to a wifi-net. It doesnt happen all of the time though. Atm im trying wicd out but i'd rather use networkmanager/nm-applet since im running gnome 3

#9 2011-10-19 20:48:36

aliasbody
Website

tyyk wrote:

It was the missing backslashes for me as well, thought i had tried it both with and without but turns out i had not. Thanks for the help guys!

Btw, do you have any problem with networkmanager/nm-applet? one of them seems to lock up my computer (to the point where i have to reboot). It happens when its trying to connect to a wifi-net. It doesnt happen all of the time though. Atm im trying wicd out but i'd rather use networkmanager/nm-applet since im running gnome 3

Never had any problem with NetworkManager/nm-applet :S Neither with KDE or Gnome3... What wireless card are you using ? The Broadcom BCM4313 ?

#10 2011-10-20 05:35:48

tyyk

Yup, the BCM4313, with the brcmsmac driver. It is rather weird since the computer wont hang completely, i can still use the console but i cant stop the daemon or do anything useful. For example i cant simply restart the daemon and gnome3 (since it hangs too). Some tools, like sudo, stops working as well when this happens. For some reason i have forgot to check the /var/log/message -file after this has happened so i suppose i'll have to wait until it happens again smile

#11 2011-10-20 12:14:56

aliasbody
Website

tyyk wrote:

Yup, the BCM4313, with the brcmsmac driver. It is rather weird since the computer wont hang completely, i can still use the console but i cant stop the daemon or do anything useful. For example i cant simply restart the daemon and gnome3 (since it hangs too). Some tools, like sudo, stops working as well when this happens. For some reason i have forgot to check the /var/log/message -file after this has happened so i suppose i'll have to wait until it happens again smile

If you fallowed the Asus 1215N wiki from Arch in order to install your wireless card then I'm so sorry (I am the one who write that part months ago :S), the opensource drivers available in the kernel are stable, and work very well (I've tested them in lots of different situations so...) to activate them just remove the proprietary driver, remove/disable the module he uses (if it is still in use), then blacklist bmca and restart network or networkmanager, if you do it right then you will not gonna have problems anymore with wireless (I am using the opensource driver since the kernel 3.0 came out).

Just try out, and if you have any problems just fallow the wiki (I have changed a lot of things yesterday big_smile)

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Asus_EEE_PC_1215n

PS : I am really sorry for my horrible English :S...

#12 2011-10-20 13:52:50

tyyk

Im actually using the proper driver (the brcmsmac is the opensource one already in the kernel, right?). I also have the bcma module blocked. Sorry i cant give you any more information, i'll report when this happens again so I can check my logs. Thanks for all the help mate.

#13 2011-11-02 21:47:50

aliasbody
Website

The problem for the powersaving not working is solved by adding a blank line at the end of the cardon and cardoff script and restart de module.... here is the solution in the issue post i've made :

https://github.com/Bumblebee-Project/Bu … nt-2609616

Hope this helps

#14 2011-11-04 14:14:44

axel668

Blank line finally made it work for me, thanks a lot alias !

(Mitch Ratcliffe)

#15 2011-11-04 20:54:36

tyyk

Yes I knew about the blank line stuff but now my problem is that the nvidiacard won't shut down properly after a suspend/hibernate. This I think though is a known problem with bumblebee/acpi_call. Rather irritating since i loose a couple of hours of battery time. (I can still shut it down manually with the asus1215n.sh script that that makes the same calls to acpi_call as bumblebee's cardon/cardoff, but then it won't suspend/hibernate properly. The script reports the discreet card as off but I can still tell by the energy consumption that it is in fact not properly turned off). Maybe I should start a new thread about this.

Last edited by tyyk (2011-11-04 21:13:44)

#16 2011-11-04 22:14:04

aliasbody
Website

I will see if I have the same problem

Board footer