You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-19 05:06:34

EnigmaticCoder

[SOLVED]Gnome 3 | There is no application installed for _any file type

I just installed arch and gnome 3. I'm trying to open files via nautilus, but get "There is no application installed for ..." for any type of file I try, including plain text files, binaries, etc. Do I have to configure gnome manually for it to open these files? I've read the arch beginner wiki and the gnome wiki, but this problem is not mentioned there. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: Solved
There were three things I needed to do to get this working correctly:
1. $ pacman -S gnome-mime-data
2. For text files, pacman -S gvim #This conflicts with vim, but the package gvim now contains vim (and vice versa, but nautilus won't open files unless gvim is installed instead of vim)
3. Binary files: I tried running some binaries I programmed on Ubuntu, but they wouldn't run until I recompiled them. Duh.

Note: I still have a small issue when opening a file that has no mime data associated with it. I can click "select application," but I am forced to choose from a very limited list, and there is no option to enter a command or browse for other programs.

Last edited by EnigmaticCoder (2011-10-19 06:10:21)

#2 2011-10-19 08:19:08

Padfoot

Re: [SOLVED]Gnome 3 | There is no application installed for _any file type

A quick thought...did you install the group gnome-extra?

# pacman -S gnome-extra

Just installing gnome will pull in the basic DE. For the apps to go with it you need gnome-extra. Of course, if you do not want all of the apps in gnome-extra, you can pick and install individually.

# pacman -Sg gnome-extra

Will show you all the apps in the group.

Cheers.

#3 2011-10-19 20:06:43

EnigmaticCoder

Thanks for the reply.

I had installed some packages from gnome-extra, leaving out some that I thought I didn't want. It's a little bit hard to determine how important each package is, but there were some that I knew for near certainty I didn't want. I still need to install some packages, including libre office, a music player, an image viewer, etc. I'd like to get back much of the functionality that I had on Ubuntu, just with a little less bloat.

Cheers.

#4 2011-10-20 07:53:20

Padfoot

EnigmaticCoder wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

........ I still need to install some packages, including libre office, a music player, an image viewer, etc. I'd like to get back much of the functionality that I had on Ubuntu, just with a little less bloat.

Cheers.

Regarding your music player, I recently had a struggle deciding which way to go.

Banshee, no, pulls in gnome and mono stuff (running as pure a Xfce desktop as I possibly can here). Exaile, have tried and really don't like it. Rhythmbox, again, too ingrained with gnome libraries for my liking. Amarok, unfortunately the love affair ended with 2.0. Clementine (read Amarok pre 2.0), yes please, but a gtk port would be nice, I have no other use for Qt. Songbird, yes please again, but no longer linux supported. Nightingale (read Songbird fork), seems to have lost momentum.

Of course, this is all just my personal opinion, but you can see the problem I had. There does not seem to be a 'large project' desktop agnostic music player/organiser for linux. They all seem to be deeply tied into Gnome or Kde.

My solution, if you want something lightweight, is MPD and Ario. MPD is just your background daemon that looks after managing your library/database, and Ario is a gtk 'frontend' that will let you search and sort your MPD database, and create the playlists to be played with MPD. The beauty of this system is that you do not need a music app to be running to play your music. Just the lightweight MPD daemon. Once a playlist has been loaded, you can close Ario and just let MPD do it's stuff.

I know Xfce has a panel app that lets you control MPD and even launch Ario to change playlists. I'm sure the other desktops will most likely have some sort of panel app too (I have even written a simple little python script that monitors MPD track changes and diplays a notification).

Anyway, just my thoughts on the issue. For more MPD info, see the wiki at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mpd

Cheers.

Board footer