You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-19 20:40:54

talavis

EFI troubles; fail to get any bootloader working

Got my new lab computer today. Everything installed correctly until I got to the bootloader installation.

It's Sandy Bridge-based and the motherboard uses EFI. 16 GB RAM, 3 hdds (home/storage), 1 ssd (root).

The EFI partition is set up as /dev/sda3, 200 MB vfat, the partition table is GPT. That part seems to work fine, as I can reach the UEFI shell I added to it.

The installation medium (USB memory) was at first non-UEFI, but after reading a lot, I was able to get UEFI working for Archboot (2k11-R6), so now it starts GRUB2 I boot from it.

My problem is that I still cannot follow the guide at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#UEFI_systems. All the steps up until modprobe efivars give me no errors whatsoever, including loading efivars. However, /sys remains empty, so I cannot finnish the bootloader installation process.

I've tried booting the GRUB "images" from UEFI shell, but that only sent me to a happy grub-rescue prompt.

So; any ideas what I can try next?

#2 2011-10-20 11:04:43

the.ridikulus.rat

Re: EFI troubles; fail to get any bootloader working

Post the outputs of

ls -1 /boot/efi/efi/grub

and

dmesg | grep -i efi

Can you try "Bootloader installation" for GRUB2 UEFI x86_64 from Archboot (you need to apply this patch https://gist.github.com/1080899 - file path /arch/setup within Archboot once booted).

#3 2011-11-02 15:05:31

talavis

I'm sorry it took so long for me to get back, but I had no luck with what you wrote, and my professor wanted me to get everything up and running as fast as possible, so I made a reinstall and went with the traditional MBR approach. I hope to be able to look into it again some time in the future, but for now I have to be satisfied with what I have.

Thanks for the answer anyway.

#4 2011-11-04 13:24:42

the.ridikulus.rat

You can boot GPT disk in BIOS mode (using grub2 or syslinux, not grub-legacy), if you don't dual boot with Windows (any version and any arch).

Board footer