You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-21 17:34:53

pottzie

laptop froze during upgrade

I have an IBM Thinkpad a31. I just ran -Syu, and the screen froze while updating. It happened after all the files had been downloaded, and the system was upgrading the files. I couldn't get a terminal to open with ctrl/alt f1, so I shut it down. After rebooting and several fsck's, I have a mouse arrow but no WM, and ctrl/alt #f1 just shows a flashing cursor,  no bash session.

#2 2011-10-21 20:36:39

b4data

Re: laptop froze during upgrade

Can you ctrl/alt #f2 and log in there?

Also, it might help if you tell us what DE/WM/DM you are using, what was being updated when you crashed, and any other information you might consider pertinent. Try moving the config files for your DE/WM and logging in again. Does that make a difference?

Last edited by b4data (2011-10-21 20:37:38)

#3 2011-10-21 21:40:33

pottzie

Re: laptop froze during upgrade

I was using gnome as a window manager. I say "was" because the system wound up being so trashed that I decided to install another operating system. I've had some issues with this laptop and decided to see if it was the laptop, the operating system or me that was causing my problems. I just finished putting Fedora #15 LXDE, because Fedora #15 wouldn't load...and I wanted to see how network manager works on Fedora, as I couldn't get my wireless to work with Arch when I took the laptop on the road.

I've always read that you don't want the system to crash during an upgrade. I can vouch for that, now!  This is what I call a "big" upgrade, looks like the whole desktop gets a fresh install. I had downloaded all the files, and pacman was somewhere between half and three-quarters through the install/upgrade portion of things.  I had upgraded my PC earlier, without a problem, so I think the laptop just got overloaded and crashed. It fought me tooth and nail when I tried to install Fedora.

If this works, I might try going with Arch LXDE, later.

Board footer