You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-09 08:29:59

elcalen
Website

Strange mouse/keyboard glitch

Hiya,

I've got this weird problem: every now and then if I move my mouse while pressing a key on the keyboard, my mouse goes berserk. For a few seconds the pointer jumps around the screen, possibly opening random menus, windows etc...

Has anyone ever run into a similar problem? Any ideas what might be causing it? A driver problem? A problem with the window manager?

I'm using Fluxbox, haven't tested other WMs. I also have Windows 2000, but haven't encountered the same problem there. I've tried a couple of mice, both ps2 and usb, but all work the same. (I haven't tried other keyboards.)

Any help would be appreciated. It's not a huge problem, but it can be quite annoying at times... (And I can't play Doom, cause I would need to use the keyboard and mouse together all the time!)

#2 2005-06-09 16:11:42

i3839

Re: Strange mouse/keyboard glitch

You could try using /dev/input/mice in xorg.conf or something similar if you don't already.

#3 2005-10-29 15:13:39

elcalen
Website

I thought I'd bump this, and see if anyone has any fresh ideas... I haven't been able to locate the fault, though I admit I haven't much tried. I know it is not caused by my mouse or keyboard, since I've tried several. Also, as I said, there are no problems in Windows. So what does that leave, then? Some driver issue?

#4 2005-11-14 21:03:59

elcalen
Website

There's another problem I keep having, as well, which may or may not be related to the keyboard/mouse issue... Occasionally it seems like some key, like ctrl or shift, gets stuck for a while, causing input to be screwed up (like, instead of switching to a second desktop with alt+F2 it switches to another terminal, as if I'd hit ctrl+alt+F2)...

It doesn't seem like it was caused by the actual keyboard, but I can't say for sure, since I haven't really tried another keyboard... (Well, it's a Logitech so you'd expect a certain quality, but on the other hand it's probably about the cheapest keyboard Logitech has to offer... I've never noticed such problems when I've been working in Windows, though). Anyway, the glitch usually passes after a little while...

#5 2005-11-15 00:24:00

multixrulz

I don't know what could be causing it, but it might help if you said whether you have USB or PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I have seen random mouse events from a nearly-dead mouse, but seeing as you say yours is OK...

#6 2005-11-16 13:32:01

elcalen
Website

multixrulz wrote:

I don't know what could be causing it, but it might help if you said whether you have USB or PS/2 mouse and keyboard.

I have seen random mouse events from a nearly-dead mouse, but seeing as you say yours is OK...

Both keyboard and mouse a PS/2 at the moment. I've also tried a USB mouse at some point, with the same results...

And yeah, the mouse or keyboard itself aren't the problem, as I've tried several. And I also have no problems when I boot into Windows. So, as far as I can see, it must be a software or driver issue of some sort...

#7 2005-11-16 21:52:05

multixrulz

What's in your xorg.conf?  X is more likely to be the problem than a WM, perhaps your driver is just wrong...

#8 2005-11-18 12:31:43

elcalen
Website

xorg.conf contains (posting only the stuff that looks most relevant):

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Layout0"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/psaux"
    Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "keyboard"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "fi"
EndSection

So. I'm really no guru at this stuff, and relatively new to Linux, too... A driver issue has always been my top suspect, but I just don't know enough about this stuff to make judgements or modifications myself. (And I've been too lazy to really delve into it.) wink

#9 2005-11-18 15:15:27

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Try changing "Protocol" "ImPS/2" to "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" and see if that helps.

Dusty

#10 2005-11-19 15:36:57

elcalen
Website

Dusty wrote:

Try changing "Protocol" "ImPS/2" to "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2" and see if that helps.

Nope... Glitch occurs just as before...

Board footer