You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-26 21:46:06

ahnkle

netcfg wifi not working

Hi,

I just changed to arch, and am just finding my feet.

I have an Acer 5920G laptop, and wanted to use netcfg, as I use my laptop in multiple places, and a mixture of wifi and ethernet.

I  am really struggling to get the wifi working with netcfg.

* Running wpa_supplicant directly, I can connect without a problem. I only specify -D wext as driver.
  * When I use net-auto-wireless, the wpa_supplicant runs with "-D nl80211,wext" and no connection is ever made to the access point.

I checked here: http://www.archlinux.org/news/netcfg-v2 … ss-config/, and set WPA_DRIVER=wext but this didn't seem to make any difference.

Any ideas about this?

#2 2011-10-27 11:21:07

Reki

Re: netcfg wifi not working

I also use an Acer laptop and netcfg works great. What I did was that I added @net-auto-wireless to my daemons array in /etc/rc.conf. I also added the line WIRELESS_INTERFACE="wlan0" (replace wlan0 with your wireless interface). Also, don't forget to edit your network file in /etc/network.d with the proper SSID and passphrase.

#3 2011-10-27 21:42:21

ahnkle

Re: netcfg wifi not working

I have just found what I needed to do to get this working.

I had already found WPA_DRIVER, but I was putting it in the interface file. I needs to go in the rc.conf file instead. I also needed WIRELESS_INTERFACE, also in rc.conf.

WPA_DRIVER='wext'
WIRELESS_INTERFACE='wlan0'

Finally, /run/wpa_supplicant directory was missing. So I have to create it manually.

Edit:
I added the following to the interface file, to create the missing directory:

PRE_UP="if [ ! -d /run/wpa_supplicant ]; then mkdir /run/wpa_supplicant; fi"

Last edited by ahnkle (2011-11-08 12:36:17)

Board footer