You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-29 09:17:19

krax
Website

Create an icon pack

Hello Guys
I have some spare time and I want to make one or two icon pack but I search the web and i don't know how to do that. nothing good out ther.
please help me with that and I promise to put them to AUR.
they are nice i might add.
So it would be nice for some help here.
i want to creat standard and full sized icon pack and package it.
tfhanks

#2 2011-10-29 09:39:18

bernarcher
Forum Fellow

Re: Create an icon pack

This is more a newbie question.
Moving to Newbie Corner for now.

(Depending on progress it may later belong to Community Contributions, however.)

To know or not to know ...
... the questions remain forever.

#3 2011-10-29 11:22:49

DSpider

Get the "faenza-icon-theme" archive (which I think is by far the most popular) from the AUR and study it's contents, folder structure, etc. It basically boils down to multiple sizes: 16, 22, 24, 32, 48, scalable (all squares, obviously). You'll notice that the smaller the icon gets, the bigger some elements become, and the larger the icon, the more detailed it is. There's really no point into cramming all the details into 16x16. For one, they'll be barely visible and it's far more useful to "pop out" other aspects of the icon. You can make like the "chibi" version of the larger version. When done right it's pretty cool, actually.

Gimp and Inkscape should cover the content creation (alternatively, Photoshop, Illustrator). In fact, you could simply just work on the SVG icons and export to PNG. And Inkscape is a great tool to help you do that.

Have fun.

"How to Succeed with Linux"

I have made a personal commitment not to reply in topics that start with a lowercase letter. Proper grammar and punctuation is a sign of respect, and if you do not show any, you will NOT receive any help (at least not from me).

#4 2011-10-29 12:45:35

krax
Website

well thanks!
as far as the leg work of creating and resizing part of the job goes; i am fine here. That part is finish.
but as I am wondering there should be a paacking process, in whih two files while creates: "index.theme" and "icon-them.cache".
This is the part i am asking for help and how to create those files and what are they jobs.
And for that I need your help guys!
Thanks again

Board footer