You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-29 17:13:03

lilsirecho
Veteran

Install raid to ram

Having setup raid0 bootable archlinux with two flash devices I am wondering if it is possible to put this into ram.  The advantage is that the raid devices are no longer needed and are therefore not read or written to extending the life of the devices.

I haven't read of any use of cp2ram with such a raid system.  It should be a possibility with my arrangement since the boot is a partition and the main array is root only.

Any ideas to try is welcome.  I have had no experience with cp2ram requirements.

I am booted  in the raid0 system at present with linux3.0.7-1 kernel.

EDIT: I recognize the need to reduce the size of the raid array to match the ram available and that would require encoding in another format.  Either that or increase ram to meet the needs.
EDIT: With ram install the system can be reset immediately.

Last edited by lilsirecho (2011-10-29 18:12:49)

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#2 2011-10-31 23:41:51

lilsirecho
Veteran

Re: Install raid to ram

Whereas reset is immediate but install to ram is only marginal in this instance, I have decided not to pursue the subject any further.

I would enjoy having the protection of ram install for my root system nowithstanding.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

Board footer