You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-11 05:19:21

Mith

how do I get /etc/printcap?

I have the following problem,
I'm trying to get the Lexmark Z23 printer to work. I'm trying the lexmark drivers from the lexmark website.
However when I try to install it, the install programm stops with the following error

couldn't open "/etc/printcap": no such file or directory

Now the question is, how do I get that smile I have cups installed, but not configured since that printer is not directly supported by cups.. I checked on linuxprinting.org and there's no ppd file for the Z23...
Anyone with an idea for that? Or maybe someone with a working lexmark printer?

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

#2 2005-06-11 21:26:24

ozar

Re: how do I get /etc/printcap?

Hi, Mith:

Did you see this page while at LinuxPrinting.org?

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_print … exmark-Z23

It appears that you may need to totally uninstall CUPS to get this printer to work.  A couple of users are reporting getting the printer to work by doing so.  I have no experience with Lexmark and Linux, so I can't say for sure.

Let us know...  smile

oz

#3 2005-06-12 05:37:31

Mith

Re: how do I get /etc/printcap?

thx for your reply,
actually with uninstalling cups and installing lprng, the /etc/printcap file was created. however after that followed a couple actions like creating a symlink, creating the user lp, just to suite the install script and in the end it doesn't print b/c there's still an error somewhere smile it just bothers me that all that stuff is pretty incomprehensible for me and I am sure that old lexmark install script does not adjust to arch layout of files and directories.. so I'm still screwed on that printing part ...

ArchLinux (x86_64) w/ kdemod

Board footer