You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-11 10:07:25

nightfrost

[solved] USB disk icons won't disappear from Desktop

I use KDE's external media service (desktop > behavior > device icons > show device icons) that shows icons of plugged in USB disks, etc. Now I have to icons poiting to /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2, respectively that won't disappear, no matter what I do. Does anyone know how I can get rid of them? I want the service on, I just want to get rid of these icons that somehow have stuck there. Thanks.

#2 2005-06-11 11:06:26

tpowa
Developer

Re: [solved] USB disk icons won't disappear from Desktop

are you using hal/dbus?
then it disappears, else not.

#3 2005-06-11 11:34:19

nightfrost

Yes, I do. The icons somehow won't disappear anyway. I think the problem originally arose when I suspended to ram with my USB-HDD plugged in. And since suspend removes the USB-modules and modprobes them again on resume, I got a new set of icons. When I unplugged the USB-HDD, only the latter icons would disappear.

#4 2005-06-11 11:39:14

tpowa
Developer

well i guess using suspend is experimental, so you have to live with errors like this.

#5 2005-06-11 11:51:19

nightfrost

hehe smile I guess you're right. But somewhere, in some config, somehow, there is something that tells KDE to put those icons on the desktop. If anyone knows where that might be, I could just edit that config file.

#6 2005-06-11 11:58:45

JGC
Developer

KDE gets notification from hal, and hal gets notification from udev. Hal inserts entries in /etc/fstab and notices the KDE media backend of the change using DBUS.
If, for some reason, hal gets confused, it won't clean up /etc/fstab until the next restart of hal, so those entries stay in. Since KDE doesn't know those entries are wrong, KDE keeps them on the desktop.

Restart hal after swsusp, it should clean up /etc/fstab then.

#7 2005-06-11 12:13:34

nightfrost

The thing is, I had tried restarting hal, and made sure /etc/fstab was clean, etc. but I hadn't restarted the computer. Now I did and the icons are gone smile Thanks a lot.

PS. I don't boot into Arch often, since I have both swsusp2 and suspend-to-ram working. But man! does Arch boot up fast. Especially since I added quiet to the kernel command line (this might just be an illusion though, but not getting all those messages on the screen seems to speed up the boot process), and removed hotplug from rc.

Board footer