You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-03 13:52:29

macaco

Toshiba Satellite L630-13H Overheating

Dear comagnions!
Unfortunately I bouht a Toshiba Satellite L630-13H Lapotop. Whith this machine I experience a problem like follows:

Whenever I boot my Arch (Kernel 3.0.x) I have got a time window from about 10 minutes until the machine overheats and performs an emgergency-shutdown. It even does so, without any GUI running. Because windows does not show such behaviour I can exclude hardware or fan problems. When monitored, the cpu shows a rapid heating to 90°C, which triggers the already mentioned shutdown. This happens while the fan is aperently running on maximum speed and without any visible task performed by the system (checked wiht "top").

I have already tried to use the acpi-cpufreq module with the conservative or respectively the powersave governor. This did not lead to an alteration, if any just to a smaller instead of a larger time window. I got really desperate over the issue and so I have to ask you kindly for your help. The other modules like "toshiba" or "toshiba_acpi" were refused by the kernel. Because I can not exclude a contribution of the GPU to the problem I will also mention it in the following specifiactions.

Hardware specifications are like follows:
Intel Core i3-350M Processor
ATI - Mobility Radeon HD5145

lspcu:
Architecture:          i686
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    2
Core(s) per socket:    2
Socket(s):             1
Vendor ID:             GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                 37
Stepping:              5
CPU MHz:               2266.000
BogoMIPS:              4535.29
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:             32K
L1i cache:             32K
L2 cache:              256K
L3 cache:              3072K

Last edited by macaco (2011-11-03 14:04:18)

#2 2011-11-03 15:39:28

oldpond

Re: Toshiba Satellite L630-13H Overheating

Did you buy it new or used?  Toshiba has recalled a few machines for overheating.  Can you hear the fan running? 

Replacement fans are easy to do. http://www.batterystyle.com/toshiba-sat … 05972.html

Also, it may need a good cleaning.  Plugged vents can make a huge difference.  I would pop it open, clean the vents, replace the silver on the heat sinks, and perhaps look at the replacement fan.

Hope this helps.

oldpond = glide

#3 2011-11-03 21:33:49

macaco

As mentioned above I can nearly exclude the possibility of a hardware problem. Nevertheless I cleaned the fan as suggested and could not detect any severe defilement. As had to be expected it did not lead to an amelioration.

I am quite sure that the problem is a matter of software, especially of the kernel and/or its modules. A strong hint towards this conclusion is the fact, that with windows disregarding its obvious other weakpoints the laptop remained in a reasonable range of temperature. In my understanding it could be caused either by the usage of the CPU or the GPU.

I would be grateful for any other suggestion of possible causes and of course even more for solutions.

#4 2011-11-05 23:24:13

macaco

Dear Oldpond! I have to beg your pardon for underestimating your precious advice. A youtube video gave me the idea to clean the fan not just from inside to outside, but also from the oudtside in. After finding my entire head surrounded by an ugly cloud of electrostatic charged dust I understood how right you were. The computer is running stable now...

Last edited by macaco (2011-11-05 23:26:15)

#5 2011-11-06 21:22:07

kaarek

ATI - Mobility Radeon HD5145 is maybe whats going hot for you ?

my toshiba was hot until i changed from open-source xf86-video-ati
  to  https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI_Catalyst

Board footer